Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

are u learning a new language??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic | View next topic  
akika10

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often hard to explain if you're a native speaker.
latvy6

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely hard to explain as a native speaker. I've found that professors in university don't really know how to explain how morphemes are organized in different languages or how to pronounce things correctly with specific shifts of tongue position, or even what tones actually are (rise and fall of vowels). After taking my first linguistics course, languages became a lot easier to follow and I found myself to be the favorite tutor in French and Japanese classes. Mr. Green

I grew up speaking Cantonese, and my parents would speak in Vietnamese to keep me and my siblings out of the loop. I attempted learning Mandarin, well, my parents sent me to a Chinese language school after my normal classes. Needless to say, I found Mandarin much more difficult to grasp than Cantonese...probably because the Chinese community where I grew up (Northern California) was pretty much exclusively Cantonese-speaking. I don't remember anyone doing well in those Mandarin classes though...so it also could've been the teachers. (I hated them...they were actually really really horrible.) The Chinese classes did aid me when I began taking Japanese though, just because I understood exactly how to write and how to decipher unfamiliar characters.

I do want to try learning Mandarin again though...maybe when I go back to the States and back to Uni? But right now, I'm focusing on Korean...just so I can get around without looking like a lost duckling. Rolling Eyes I really don't like K-Pop or K-Dramas though...but I've been watching Korea television to aid in my study...it's, interesting to say the least! Laughing
charleslch

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

latvy6 wrote:
But right now, I'm focusing on Korean...just so I can get around without looking like a lost duckling. Rolling Eyes I really don't like K-Pop or K-Dramas though...but I've been watching Korea television to aid in my study...it's, interesting to say the least! Laughing

ahahaha ))) high five for the K-Pop and K-Dramas! I don't and don't wanna understand why a lot of HK people, especially girls, love them so much.. IMO TVB is way better than Korean Dramas, well.. except for Dae Jang Geum lolllll

Last update: 03/09/2012
latvy6

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 7:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVED DAE JANG GEUM! Love Well, mainly because I like Korean food. And that show always just made me really really hungry...hahaha!

Also, it's probably because I'm nothing like those HK girls! I listened to punk rock in high school...and I used to idolize Faye Wong...because she's quirky like I am? Laughing I think that reveals how un-characteristic I was/am.

It's the same with the Chinese girls back home in California too. Some of them even tell people that they're Korean! It's hilarious...and really really sad/pathetic...embarrassing really. Watching
charleslch

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

ughh... I still remember how many times I was told being a Japanese... Westerners really can't distinguish among Chinese, Japanese and Korean... bleh!

Last update: 03/09/2012
akika10

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Aug-2012 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally noticed the Korean obsession. My Chinese and Hong Kong friends wpuld come in to school dressed like them because their style was so 'kawai'. Razz I don't really see it though.

I only watch the three Korean dramas with Kim Hyun Joong. Mr. Green I can't speak Korean but from what I can tell, he should stick to the boy band thing. Wink
Dutchflexiboy

PostPosted: Sat, 9-Aug-2014 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, because of my autism I need to improve my english, so if my english is not correct, you may correct me Smile

But this forum is also very good training for me to improve my english.
Dutchflexiboy

PostPosted: Tue, 9-Sep-2014 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a Canadian English course now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: