Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things to do in St Petersburg

View previous topic | View next topic  
AleksandraFan

PostPosted: Mon, 15-Jul-2013 18:50    Post subject: Things to do in St Petersburg Reply with quote

Hello everyone Smile I am going on a trip with my family to St Petersburg (Russia, not Florida Wink ) in August. I think we will be there for one to two weeks.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is a must-see in St Petersburg? As well, things that should be avoided would be good to know.

Also, I've seen that there is a World Cup there while I will be there. How can I get tickets for that?

Finally (sorry about all the questions), my Russian language ability is pathetic (I know about 10-15 words and 3-4 phrases, and my parents know nothing at all). Will that make it very hard to communicate/get around?

I'm not sure if this is completely the right place to ask, but I saw that many people were helpful when someone else asked about a trip so I thought it might be a good place to start.

Thank you Angel

I ♥ Sasha Merkulova!
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Sat, 20-Jul-2013 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by Eastern Europe, learning English seemed not to be common before the Berlin Wall came down. Also, under communism they did not bother themselves with the same ideals of customer service in the west. If you need to ask someone, make sure they are young...
You could mitigate this by researching all your itinerary and printing maps and timetables off in advance and knowing their alphabet.
Belosnegka

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Jul-2013 17:55    Post subject: Re: Things to do in St Petersburg Reply with quote

AleksandraFan wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is a must-see in St Petersburg? As well, things that should be avoided would be good to know.

excursions:

Raising the bridges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz37gq_gCoM
It's AMAZING 100%

Canal boat tours
Saint Isaac's Cathedral
Our-Lady-of-Kazan Cathedral
The Hermitage Museum/The Winter Palace

Kronshtadt
Peterhof
SUPER!!!!
http://wikitravel.org/en/Saint_Petersburg

Quote:
Finally (sorry about all the questions), my Russian language ability is pathetic (I know about 10-15 words and 3-4 phrases, and my parents know nothing at all). Will that make it very hard to communicate/get around?

young people know English, but hesitate. Adults know English badly, unfortunately. In hotels, cafe, restaurants problems won't be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: