Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to fix an Olympic cycle? - background to the scandal

View previous topic | View next topic  
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 18-Aug-2013 1:21    Post subject: How to fix an Olympic cycle? - background to the scandal Reply with quote

Note: the following is the translation of a feature I wrote for the sports daily (and website) I work for. The original can be found (in a much nicer arrangement) here: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/egyeb_egyeni/hogyan-bundazzunk-el-egy-olimpiai-ciklust-2271079

So in case you'd use it, I'd kindly ask to use www.nemzetisport.hu as a source. Thanks. Huge thanks for Tom Theobald who read it through and made corrections – I'm not a professional translator. I hope I didn't make factual mistakes. If I did, of course you're free to point it out in comments/PM.

I don't have many illusions about the sport being cleared up - though that doesn't put me off of being a fan of the sport and the gymnasts, taking my hat off to their work and dedication.

+++

HOW TO FIX AN OLYMPIC CYCLE?

By Gergely Marosi for Nemzeti Sport Online

Cheating at exams, power games, manipulations and a sport that bleeds.

Motto: „A judge can be removed and replaced for the following: ...cheating and proven corrupt behaviour” (FIG General Judges Rules 2013)

Mass-scale cheating at judges' examinations. Official documents gone missing. Power games that remain hidden behind the curtains. Friendly judges, who receive brevets without the necessary expert skills. A near complete silence in the official circles to these behaviours. “The whole thing is a cauldron of lies” – explained Bruno Grandi, president of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) as he attacked the state of rhythmic gymnastics earlier this summer. Specifically, six current and one former member – the former president – (Maria Szyszkowska) of the sports' technical committee are all banned. The latter was expelled from the sport, after the FIG's investigation proved her part in the organized manipulation of international judge exams last fall and winter. Sadly, the main victims are those who sacrifice their energy, youth and sometimes health for rhythmic, the sport they love – namely, the gymnasts themselves. To clean-up these corrupt behaviours is difficult. The phrase “things have always worked this way” describes just how deeply embedded is the corrupt judging, year after year. Mostly because more people are interested in playing the game than playing it fair.

The date July 9th 2013 might become a milestone in the history of rhythmic gymnastics. The International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) based on the findings of an earlier disciplinary committee investigation, suspended six current and one former member of the technical committee (TC) – the leading professional panel of rhythmic gymnastics. While declaring the international judge exams of Bucharest, Alicante and Moscow (taken at the end of 2012) null and void, the FIG withdrew all international brevets with an effect date of August 2013.

Based on the inside documents and records obtained by Nemzeti Sport Online, as well as the disciplinary decisions, we can conclude that an attempt was made to fix and manipulate the current Olympic cycle by placing selected judges in certain positions.

The severity of the FIG's sanctions can be illustrated by stating a theoretical example from a different sport: this decision was like that of FIFA (football's governing body) banning the members of its all-powerful executive committee and withdrawing the licenses of all the top referees. In the case of rhythmic gymnastics, the technical committee officials are charged with manipulating exam results, possible intentional leaking of answers to selected judges, breaking a number of FIG-directives and the violation of sporting and judge integrity as well as the principles of fair judging.

“The sport is poisoned from the top to the roots. Cheating spreads like a virus. Caught at the international courses, spreading downwards to national courses and everywhere” – says Erik, a prominent figure in the anti-corruption fight within rhythmic gymnastics. His web-based petition demanding fair judging – addressed to Bruno Grandi, FIG-president – has been signed by hundreds of gymnasts, fans and experts.

Erik continues, “Judges can be placed in three groups. There are the ones who cheat actively. Then there are numerous silent lambs, who do not speak up. And there are several honest judges, who try to fight against corruption. Corruption does not stop here of course. A lot of the influential people render services by consultancy and/or assistance in training camps. They receive very good money for it and better scores in competition for their gymnasts, thus building their network. Friends are helped to brevets even though they might be not qualified enough. All they need to know is the scores they have to give… It doesn’t help the sport to act as if everything is OK. This sport is very ill, and the decisions taken by FIG can be life-saving.”

THE VERDICT

The former President of the TC (technical committee), Maria Szyszkowska has been stripped of her FIG membership, and excluded from any form of participation in all future FIG events and activities. She has also been denied the right of accreditation as a FIG member during any FIG events. Her Level 1 Judge’s Brevet has been revoked, as well as has her status as an FIG Honorary Member – a sanction not imposed before in FIG's history. It's clear from the FIG's documents and statements that Szyszkowska, the very powerful Polish committee head, abused her position and power while applying pressure on colleagues behind the scenes.

“About the former president of the Technical Committee, Mrs. Szyszkowska, who is stated to be no longer involved with gymnastics, there is to say that it is better so” – declares the summary of the Disciplinary Commission.

''I'm very sorry that after 32 years of my social work, during which I created new, clear and legible judging rules, me and my friends from Technical Committee were treated so brutally and I was stripped from my honorable title of Honorary Member of FIG” – said Szyszkowska to the Polish news agency PAP.

The Disciplinary Commission has decided to suspend the members of the former Technical Committee from their official duties until 31 December 2014. These members are: Natalyia Kuzmina (Russia), Mariya Guigova (Bulgaria), Daniela Delle Chiaie (Italy), Shihoko Sekita (Japan), Noha Abou Shabana (Egypt) and Caroline Hunt (USA). They can be assigned training tasks, but they will not be permitted to run examinations, award brevets, oversee or be involved in judging. Six of the seven current Technical Committee members will serve suspensions with the exception of its newest member, Laura Acosta of Mexico. Pancrasia Sirvent Mut of Spain, who served as an expert at the dishonest examinations, she has been officially warned for her conduct. The banned members claim no wrongdoings and some of them have appealed the FIG's decision to suspend them.

In the same verdict the FIG has taken the decision to revoke all brevets that were approved at the end of the three courses. These revocations coming into effect as of 31 July 2013. On the other hand, the international federation found no clear evidence for the active corruption of the judges themselves, though the Disciplinary Commission is aware of the judges with suspicious exams. It was the Technical Committee – the serious infractions of which could be proved – that took the major blame and the suspensions.

All the judges (suspicious or clear, it didn't matter) had to take a re-test of their exam under special FIG surveillance in Frankfurt on 20 July 2013. A special Presidential Commission will be assigned judge oversight duties at the World Championships to be held in Kiev, 28th August to 1st of September. Meanwhile all judges attending will be monitored closely during the event.
But this begs the question, what happened and how did these things come to light?

FIRST SHOCK AND THE START OF INVESTIGATION

The end of an Olympic cycle often comes with rule changes… In 2012 a new and radically altered rhythmic gymnastics "Code of Points" (COP) was drafted. Judges traveling to the international course held in Bucharest had many questions as this new 2012 COP was untested at any competition and a lot of points needed explanation and clarification. This clarification process was one of the duties of the Technical Committee. The other was to award the international brevets between categories I and IV, based on the examinations. When the results were announced, there was instant disbelief as 36 judges seemingly achieved the top (brevet I) category. By contrast, at the 2008 international exam taken in Minsk, there were initially only 5 judges in this category!

One of Nemzeti Sport Online's confidential sources, herself a judge, not involved in the three aforementioned examinations, stated the following…
“I was astonished when first hearing the results. So many top category judges? No way! I think there would be no case if the numbers itself were not so astonishing. This was simply too suspicious”.

After the exams held in Moscow and Alicante, the FIG had seen enough. In late November 2012, the sport's governing body then launched a disciplinary investigation because of the suspected cheating and rule violations, while at the same time canceling all other international exams. The documents obtained by us prove: the mentioned examinations were indeed anything but fair.

MYSTERIOUS KNOWLEDGE, MISSING PAPERS

The major scandal broke out mainly because of the exam in Bucharest, where seemingly a lot of things were rigged. The practical examination was prepared by judges who took the exams themselves – an ideal background for leaking the answers.

A condition of taking the exams anonymously was not secured by the Technical Committee, though requested by FIG. „There was a fear of cheating, and FIG wanted to reduce the risk” – stated the international federation. Examination questions were not held at certain judging areas (e.g. Mastery). Thus the FIG says the exam was „not reflecting the actual capacity of judges to judge in competition.” Then the examination results were arbitrarily changed and manipulated – in most times with bonuses, though several judges were given mark downs as well.

A suspicious number of judges had perfect or near perfect exams. Inexplicably, many of them had the same scores and same percentages. Even mistakes were copied, and everything pointed to a deliberate leaking towards certain judges.

„Even the mistakes were copied, i.e. in Bucharest 13 out of 14 are identical to the experts. The 14 scores were identical amongst themselves. Such congruence cannot be an incidence. This has been confirmed by the results of the competitions that were held since, and even the best judges of the world at the World Championships and so on have some deviation, but never the same results amongst themselves” – stated the Disciplinary Commission in its summary.

To top it off, the original examination papers mysteriously disappeared – or someone intentionally took them. “The disappearance of the answer sheets, (is) obviously regretful, but nobody knows what happened” – stated Maria Szyszkowska to the Disciplinary Commission.

Investigation of the Moscow and Alicante exams showed more irregularities, but the original exam papers were confiscated by the FIG. These papers proved the intentional manipulation of results. In Alicante, 12 examination sheets and 18 scores did not correspond to the ones entered in the computer program for evaluation. 64 sheets had score changes on them with a total of 257 scores changed. One case clearly shows that the changes were done by someone with a different writing style. In Moscow, 33 sheets had score changes for a total of 114 scores manipulated. There is another case where scores were not changed by the judge taking the exam, but by someone else.

“The TC members saw the results and were surprised, 51 failures. The TC adjusted the results by granting a bonus so as to increase the number of achievements.” – states the FIG document about the Bucharest exam. (…). Some examples: “...judge failed D(ifficulty) and E(xecution), but (was) lifted from fail to very good, from 0 to Brevet 2”, “Another one in D was lifted from very good to excellent and from Cat 2 to 1.”

„By doing so, there was twice, a sport injustice. Not only some of the results were unacceptably lowered [e. g. an exam was upgraded from 28.57 to 80% in Execution, another from 20% to 75% in Difficulty, and from 44.29 to 80% in execution – editor's comment](thus) a first injustice for the candidates. Secondly, there were given brevets of the highest categories to candidates who hadn’t proven they had the necessary skills, but were only “chosen” because they were from a developing country or from a country where World Championships or Olympic Games would take place in (the) future” – says the official summary. We can only conclude that those judges most certainly knew whom they have to help afterwards.

IT’S HARD TO BE SO EXCELLENT

According to all Nemzeti Sport Online's sources, the most suspicious were the practical exams… Proficiency and even a perfect score in theory is certainly manageable and a score over 90 percent could well be expected by highly qualified professional officials. On the other hand, the practical results showed a number of utterly unbelievable similarities. A number of judges had consistently hit the reference marks approved by the Technical Committee in all tasks – we are talking about tenths here. No wonder that FIG declared “astonishing statistics of the results”. This has also been confirmed by Bruno Grandi, president of FIG, talking to the German newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung. According to Grandi, the results in Bucharest were compared to the last World Championships, where judges hit 2 reference scores out of 480.

„I cannot tell how it can happen. I saw many same marks of the experts. For the E(xecution) there are always differences” – stated TC member Mariya Guigova at a hearing.

The statistical nonsense of the results has been indicated to the FIG by a number of judges during the investigation. Such statistics can only occur when intentional leaking was done or someone manipulated the scores. Grandi also addressed this as follows...

“You are my friend, I give you the answers. Then the friends of the friend and so on” – told Grandi the Süddeutsche. The FIG president thinks that no-one from the RG community actually expected that the international federation would have a closer look at the exams.

“This was a cauldron full of lies” – said Grandi. And the cauldron overflowed.

HOW TO FIX AN OLYMPIC CYCLE?

What was the motivation for the cheating? The answer: Directly influencing and manipulating the results by placing selected judges in future positions. Let's have a look what the disciplinary summary states.

„To avoid sports injustice, gymnastics needs fair judging. This can only be reached by forming competent and fair judges (...) [This was violated] by not giving equal chances to the judges to achieve their brevet, with the intention to favor some persons or countries. On the other side, there was the intention to give a brevet to judges who didn’t have the necessary skills. Resulting afterwards in having unqualified judges judging gymnasts and possibly giving unjustified scores during competitions, that would eventually lead to unfair competition results.”

A source of Nemzeti Sports Online, speaking on condition of anonymity, explained the following…

“Mrs. Syszkowska wanted to make sure her friends would make a FIG brevet I. In that way they would have absolute control over all important competitions in the next 4 years. It was basically a coup, bold and arrogant cheating. Friends received information and bonuses, supposed enemies maluses (mark downs). Investigation started with the fact that judges, who gave exactly the same answers, got completely different scores. Then questions were put and the ball started rolling”.

It is worth taking a look at the FIG brevet re-take exam results from Frankfurt on 20 July. Only 12 judges received Category 1 brevets. Plus only 5 top category judges from Bucharest kept their brevet 1 ratings. A number of judges have been demoted to lower categories. And some judges with mysterious knowledge at this time did not receive brevets at all. On the other hand, the new judge panel selections have been questioned – a lot of relatively inexperienced judges at the international level are now in high positions, while known “clear” and experienced international judges of many years are now missing out or down-graded to lower brevet ratings.

Investigative articles by German newspapers TAZ and Mitteldeutsche Zeitung state that there are still a number of judges with earlier 'dodgy' exams in the international judge pool. The new judge panels debuted at the World Cup in St Petersburg this weekend, at the end of the month the World Championships are coming up – whether anything changes, remains an open question.

Q AND A SECTION

Q: What was the goal of the game?

A: According to the information available manipulation ran on two levels. One was to push as many friends and allies to the top brevet category as they could. It looks like this was done by leaking and direct score manipulation. The other: pushing more judges into the international panels, who are from countries where future events will be held or they are other “friends”. This was done by score manipulation and bonuses. With this many allies a total control can be enforced over the international judging panels, thus the next Olympic cycle could well have been fixed.

Q: Why is this even surprising? Everybody knows that the similar sports are influenced by lobbying and background deals.

A: Lobbying is one thing, organized cheating is another, especially if the head of the highest professional panel is involved – this is confirmed by the severity of the sanctions against Szyszkowska.

Q: Why is the situation in RG even worse than other sports with judging panels?

A: There might be more causes for this. One – which even Bruno Grandi acknowledges – is that RG is the most subjective sport, so it's prone to scoring anomalies. Another reason is that the number of strong lobbies is very low. Few lobbies mean severe concentration of power and it's very easy for a country to dominate the scene and the events. Another reason is the prominence of the ex-Eastern bloc countries: they have bad rankings on corruption scales, there is a culture of achieving things using “unofficial” channels and – as shown by studies – prevalence of cheating (academic or otherwise) is higher.

Q: Are the Russians (Ukrainians, Bulgarians etc.) winning because the judges cheat?

A: Stating this would be an injustice and disrespect to the gymnasts. Regardless of lobbying power, the Russians have the best infrastructure, most money, best and largest talent pool, highly qualified coaches and a very high number of world class ability gymnasts. On the other hand, their lobby “hits the gas” as soon as a serious rival emerges, and they do everything to maintain their hegemony. In case of a clear competition, it's highly probable that the same countries – Russia, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Belarus and so on – would have the lion's share of medals.

Q: Is the situation the worst at the very top?

A: It might be surprising, but no. The mid-to-high level gymnasts, who are very close in ability are the ones really vulnerable to judging manipulation. Just for an example: the former top Polish rhythmic gymnast, improved more than 10 places after Szyszkowska became the Technical Committee head.

Q: If other people are in power, will something change?

A: Fundamentally, no. In RG's history there were times when the Bulgarian or the Ukrainian lobby had the power. But there were always scandals and conflicts back then as well. Rhythmic gymnastics is an 'echo chamber' with a small insider circle. In this 'echo chamber' deals are struck behind the curtain, unwritten and sometimes illegal methods are accepted and commonplace. This was the breeding ground of the current scandal. Most people entering the insider circle are trying to “join the game” or just accept how it's being played, instead of pushing for a fair game.

Q: Is manipulation a danger on lower levels as well?

A: Of course it is. We can state that most gymnasts making it to the world stage have faced – either as victims or beneficiaries – judging manipulation.

Q: Do the gymnasts know? And why don't they speak out?

A: They do know and probably are disturbed by it, yet very few active gymnasts have ever spoken out – maybe because of fear for repercussions. That's why Elena Vitrichenko's withdrawal at the 2000 Europeans or Alexandra Piscupescu's black armband demonstration in the London Olympics Test Event gained attention. “Judging issues in rhythmic gymnastics are almost as prolific as doping issues in cycling,” – said Olympic competitor Janine Murray of Australia to the New York Times.

Q: FIG has never made such a clear-out attempt in RG. Why now?

A: The manipulation and cheating was so bold that they had to spot it. Bruno Grandi devoted a lot of time earlier to artistic gymnastics – the flagship of the gymnastics disciplines –, but now he stated “it's high time normality returned to rhythmic gymnastics.” It's high time indeed, partly because the last thing Grandi needs is one of the gymnastics disciplines getting in danger of losing the Olympic spot. With the scandals, the RG community basically dig their own hole. In general, gymnastics is on a high, considering they have the highest share of Olympic money together with athletics and the events that are selling out – but scandals like this cause major headaches for FIG's leaders.

Q: Will this action clear anything up?

A: This action in itself will not, but it can start a clearing process. The whole system should change. But until the majority benefits from playing the game instead of playing fair, progress is very hard.

+++

INFOBOX: EAST GLIMMERS IN GOLD

While in AG a lot of smaller nations are directly involved in medal fights, in the history of RG only two events – where most Eastern bloc countries boycotted (1975 Worlds, 1984 Olympics) – were won by Western gymnasts. All the other individual AA titles at Worlds, Europeans and Olympics went to a gymnast from the former Soviet Union, Bulgaria or Czechoslovakia. All the major world class gymnasts were (ex-)Soviets or Bulgarians. Southern or Western countries can rarely be involved in the run for medals. And if it's done, it's usually in group competitions (Italy, Spain or even Greece).

+++

INFOBOX: THE POWERS

RUSSIA. The undisputed power of the sport, as well as the most successful nation in rhythmic gymnastics, which enjoys near total dominance since the end of the 1990s. Irina Viner, the Uzbek-born head of Russian RG – the most successful coach as well – built an empire, which is sarcastically called ‘Vinerstan’ by fans. The empire is built on close connections with a number of ex-Soviet countries and other ones, the gymnasts of which are training or counseled by Russians. Due to its excellence in the sport, Russia also “exports” a number of coaches, furthering the influence.
A small addition: Viner’s husband is Alisher Usmanov, one of Russia’s powerful oligarchs, chairman of Gazprominvest Holdings, co-owner of Metalloinvest and Arsenal F. C., who is worth a net 17.7 billion USD. Gazprom is the main sponsor of the Russian national RG team, securing an unrivaled financial and infrastructural background for the gymnasts.

UKRAINE. Leading power in the early-to-mid 1990s, the nemesis of Russia, controlled mainly by the famous Deriugina School. Ukraine and Russia maintained a fierce rivalry in the sport dating back to Soviet times. Since gaining independence, Ukraine is the second most successful RG nation.

BULGARIA. Back in the time Neshka Robeva’s ‘Golden Girls’ had a medal tally nearing 300, when Bulgarian RG – on and off the carpet – was in the peak of its powers. Nowadays both the medal count and the influence are reduced, though the Bulgarian School – also helped by a number of coaches working abroad – remain one of the prominent ones.

+++

I omitted an infobox about RG scandals, but those are probably well-known in this circle. But just for background's sake, a shortened version.

1992 Olympics – Kostina vs Skaldina and Timoshenko before the games, Skaldina-Pascual affair at the medal ceremony at the Games.

2000 Zaragoza, Vitrichenko's “slaughter” and withdrawal. Video evidence shows judge discrimination and score manipulation resulting from that. I. Deriugina, N. Stepanova, G. Stummer, G. Marjina, U. Sohlenkamp, N. Lashchinskaya get banned, the whole judge section gets yellow carded and suspended for Sydney.

2007-08 Bessonova finally defies the odds and wins AA in Patras. Viner is outraged and makes comments, gets an official warning. Deriugina gets thrown the book at her for damaging the image of gymnastics; improperly influencing the result of a competition; and behaving in an offensive way toward gymnasts or officials. 8 year judging suspension, later halved, she's allowed to go to Beijing as a coach.

2012: After the Olympic Test Event Irina Deleanu's comments [made in a TV interview] include serious allegations against the FIG and call into question the capabilities of Cypriot gymnast Chrystalleni Trikomiti, while suggesting that she may have received preferential treatment. As a consequence, Deleanu gets a suspension. At the last day of the competition Piscupescu (knowing she missed out qualifying) demonstrated with black armband, a rare sight.

2012-13: Disciplinary committee investigation uncovers cheating at the Bucharest, Moscow and Alicante international judge courses. One former (Szyszkowska) and six current members of the TC are banned, brevets are revoked, judges sit a re-test in Frankfurt.
Tahnee
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Sun, 18-Aug-2013 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article Gergely - makes for a very interesting read when it's all put together like that!
gymfan3

PostPosted: Sun, 18-Aug-2013 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

great article!
answered alot of my questions! Smile
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Sun, 18-Aug-2013 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few will have the stamina to read the article unless they are already interested in RG. Those who are in it probably already know as much as they need to know.

Last edited by maksymehappy on Mon, 15-Apr-2019 16:55; edited 1 time in total
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 18-Aug-2013 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I know our site readers' limitations (understanding a title is a challenge for a lot of them) I'm content with getting the clicks :p
AleksandraFan

PostPosted: Mon, 19-Aug-2013 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

maksymehappy wrote:
Those who are in it probably already know as much as they need to know.

I disagree; some of us are very interested in RG, but these scandals happened when we were young children Smile

Gergely, very interesting read! Thank you for sharing Smile

I ♥ Sasha Merkulova!
Bella

PostPosted: Mon, 19-Aug-2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question: N. Stepanova who got banned in 2000, is it Natalia Stepanova/ Stsiapanava who is the coach of the german group now?
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 19-Aug-2013 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

N is Natalia for sure, I don't know whether there are more Natalia Stepanovas around. Likely not.

I feel - but I can be mistaken - that the Zaragoza verdict was quite light (though not having access to the case folder I don't know if there was a chance for a stricter one). I also feel it contributed to the current situation, though judging always seemed to be a minefield.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: