Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your RG story

View previous topic | View next topic  
halkonyat

PostPosted: Sun, 30-Dec-2012 10:38    Post subject: Your RG story Reply with quote

Here you can post your story. I mean strories like 'you started RG at a very late age, but you became one of the bests in your country' or 'you had a serious problem but Rhythmic Gymnastics helped you to become healthy again'. I also have a story, and I'll post it as soon as I have more time Bounce
Linnea

PostPosted: Tue, 1-Jan-2013 1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (slightly boring) story:

So I started ballet at age 2, in a very prestigious Russian ballet academy, in the Vaganova style. I loved ballet so much, and continued devotedly until I turned eleven.
My cousin had come over to my house and we were watching "Gymnastics Fails" videos. We were laughing our butts off and then there was the "Rhythmics is NOT Easy" video by Kaja in the related videos. So, I clicked on it. My cousin thought it was cool, but I was mesmerized. I kept seeing how high I could lift my leg and if I had what it took. That Christmas, my mom got me private lessons with one of the certified judges in USAG Rhythmic. I only went for an hour a week, and was awful. My ballet really helped though, and I had a pretty good oversplit before I even started.
After a while, though, I wanted to compete for real, and have real routines. So my mom and I went to a local club for a year and a half. But after a while, my mom couldn't take the drive anymore. It was easily 1 hour, much more with traffic, which happened often. So I switched clubs, to where I am now. I really really like it there. It's smaller but a lot better.
So when I was 13 I started competing in USAG, the American competitive track. I was in Level 6 (out of 10), which mortified me. I was competing against all the 10-year-olds. I was not fat, but not in proper rhythmic gymnast shape. That year ended.
This summer, my coach approached me and said she thought I should skip up to Level 9 this year. I was thrilled, but beyond nervous. Skip THREE levels?? But I'm up for it.
Now, about my body. I was super determined and am still losing fat but gaining lean muscle. I live a healthy lifestyle, train 18-20 hours a week, and am loving it.

So I guess that's it.
AleksandraFan

PostPosted: Tue, 1-Jan-2013 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story isn't particularly interesting, but here it is:

I started Ice Skating lessons at age 3. I had a lot of potential in skating, but I had to quit for 14 months at age 12 because of an injury. I went back to the sport, but it wasn't the same, and I still skate, but not as competitively. So athleticism, grace, performance, etc. has always been a part of me.

I came across Artistic Gymnastics when I was 15, and did that for a year. Then I discovered RG the summer that I turned 16, and I was hooked (It was seeing Alexandra Merkulova at the YOG that really drew me to the sport). I joined a club that september (last year), and thanks to the strength and balance from skating and natural hand eye co-ordination (and a really excellent coach), progressed relatively quickly. I failed slightly epically at my first competition, but I'm competing at provincial level this year, and doing a lot better than people who started much earlier than me. I don't exactly have an RG body (I'm tall, but I have figure skating muscles - aka, not slim muscle - on my legs), but I'm working on it.

Sadly this is my last year in RG Sad University next year, and the only RG club in the country is hours away from where I'll be going to school.

I ♥ Sasha Merkulova!
halkonyat

PostPosted: Wed, 2-Jan-2013 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE READ ME!
Well, here is my story. It will be long, I know but might it will mean you something. Not very interesting, but unique hehe Cool

I don't have the body for RG. I'm very short, a little bit chubby, my legs are very unflexible and my back is made of wood. I discovered rhythmics in 2010
at age 12, and I've fallen in love with it. Soonly, this sport meant the life for me. I didn't tell it to anyone at the first years because I was afreaid that they
will laugh at me. Of course there wasn't any RG club in my neighbourhood so I started to practice at home with a baby ball , a hoop, a rope, sticks
and a ribbon kontted to a staff :') After a few months I was brave enough to tell it to everybody, so I got normal apparatuses hehe Very Happy I also started to
do RG at school, during my PE lesson, I enjoyed the big place very much and I could learn more tricks. Some of my classmates who were dancing
helped me a lot Love I had a very good sense of balance. I had good pivots, like two attitude turns. In 2011's December I achieved to do the
fouettes without any coach-help. I was over the moon in my happiness, my favourite element was the fouettes and I couldn't beleive that I can
do them. Laughing RG was just a hobby for me, and I also played tennis. At that year, I stopped with tennis and I only did rhythmics for myself. But in the
January of 2012 my legs started to pain. At first i didn't care with them, and my doctor said it's totally common and it will go away soon. But it didn't,
it just became more serious. I couldn't do the fouettes nor anything, such as simple things like forward roll. My legs became a real disaster. I
couldn't touch my left leg with my right hand at all, I couldn't take up my shoes on my own and I was on crying when I had to lay down. I had loads
of monitorings but everything seemed OK. But in February I went to a better doctor, and when he saw me how I walk - or not walk hehe - he said I
have to stay in the hospital. I stayed for two weeks, but nobody could tell what's the problem, they only said it's because of the stress. When I got home,
my legs didn't pain that much, they were a lot better. Although i still had problems with moving and balance-losing. I couldn't do anything in RG which I
could two months before. I felt horrible. But in March I took up social
dancing which helped my legs. It was hard to move with them, but the pain almost went away, I only felt my legs if I was worried or fluttered, etc. But it
wasn't enough for me, I wanted my pivots and balances back. In the
summer I lernt again how to do the forward roll. I was the happiest person in the world! Bounce I took up tennis again and I started horse-riding on
a very light way. With these, my legs became better and better to day to day. In September I found an RG club where I usually go now! Love I couldn't
believe that I'll really attend an RG club. This club isn't serious, we don't have hard trainings, competitions and it's quite chilish but i love it Smile That time I
started to stretch my legs and my back, since that I achieved the splits twice times and I also have the scorpion. Very Happy I'm still developing and I think I
will make a routine for myself. I still can't do things I could, but my dream, the fouettes are coming closer. My legs don't pain usually but I wouldn't
call them perfect. If I'm nervous they became usueless, so I don't think I'll ever go on a competition. But who knows! Wink

Sorry why it's too long. I haven't told my story to anyone still, but I felt I have to do this. I didn't appreciate anything in myself before my legs went wrong
and I lost everything I had. I don't wish anybody that feeling. I think you can't be better than everyone, so it's a very bad purpose. But today you can
be better than that gymnast who you were yesterday. This is the only thing what metters. Wink
Thank you for listening, I hope my story helped some people Kiss

Last edited by halkonyat on Thu, 9-May-2013 18:46; edited 1 time in total
Anahí
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 4-Feb-2013 20:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was child, I was a very hyperkinetic girl. I had too much energy and was upset at home. So, when I started the school, - at age of six - , my mom put me in a school where I had two class sessions. So, I returned at home at 6 pm, very, very tired haha Very Happy

But the school was not the best way of education (my parents didn´t know about that, of course). Once the teacher missed one class, so, me and my friends, where playing all the day around the school garden. Was there when I fell above a stone and broke my head. I lost a lot of blood and they had to do surgery.

After that incident, my parents took me out of these school, but they didn´t get another institut with the some workload Laughing

So, I started the new school, but it was just during the morning. So, my mom took me to the club in my neighborhood and said me: "choose two sports; whatever you want", hahaha (she didn´t want me at home!!!)

I started swimming, tennis and rhythmic gymnastics. Two months leter, my gymnastics coach wanted me with the advanced group and I started to train four per everyday. I remember I really was in love with RG for then, and obviusly, I left my tennis and swimming classes.

That was the beginin of my career. Started in 1989, and finished in december of 2007 Very Happy
andres

PostPosted: Fri, 8-Feb-2013 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow is amazing that something can change things for the future . Is nice how you begun on rg and is amazing that later one notice the true love on a sport and that is with us forever ..

I fallen in love with rg on 1999 and I love it more with the years ,on 2008 was figure skating judge but my love with rg was stronger and left a year later skating judging

on 2006 created a website about Chilean rg ,until now is open and go to see national championships .

on 2008 decided close my website due to motivational problems. (Many critics and nothing positive) when some gymnasts knew the news about website closing sent me e-mail begging that no close it ,was around 260 e-mails. begging that no close it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sora-chan2

PostPosted: Sat, 2-Mar-2013 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a very long story from me here, but I discovered rhythmic when I was 13, joined the nearest club and haven't looked back since. Having started so late it's been a challenge but I've still managed to go to competitions and last year I won a medal (and this time not just because there were only 3 people in my category!) Can't imagine life without RG! I'll be so sad to quit when I go off to university next autumn.

http://www.youtube.com/princessiero2
Ask me a question!
http://www.formspring.me/toastqueen
moon kitten

PostPosted: Wed, 25-Jun-2014 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Man, this has ended up being a really long story! Sorry!)

When I was a child and in my early teens I was very shy and scared of sport and thought I wasn't capable of doing any of it. I also had particularly low muscle tone and somewhat bad body awareness because I had been a premature baby. In Australian schools, or at least the ones I went to they tend to be very enthusiastic about sport and force children to participate a lot which made me hate sport. When I was about 9/10 I used to pretend to be sick a lot so I didn't have to play cricket at school.

When I was thirteen and in high school my friend begged me to join the school rhythmic gymnastics team with her because she'd be too shy to go alone. I kind of wish I had, but I said no. I thought there was no way I would be capable of doing something dance-like (It took until I was older to become not so shy about dancing). Also, I had seen the rhythmic gymnasts perform on school assembly and at the time I thought it was embarrassing to wear only tiny leotards and do lots of flexible moves.

When I was sixteen, my best friend, my sister and I decided that we were going to dress up as these characters that were cheerleaders (the girls from Cardcaptor Sakura, we were a bit geeky), and we decided to go to one cheerleading class to learn how to do some simple stunts. I ended up really liking the class, and my friend and sister were agreeable to continuing to go to classes. Going there with my two favourite people every week became one of my favourite things. It was at a small, very casual club in a class with kids a little younger than us. But we had a really nice, enthusiastic coach who taught us the basics and conditioning very well without rushing through things. I finally found a form of exercise that I really liked and thought I was capable of doing if I kept working at it! I think it meant a lot at the time. I stopped feeling like I couldn't do things. I felt really free jumping and flying through the air. I have really fond memories of my sister and I practicing a lot in our backyard after school. After about a term my friend left (poor girl, she was naturally really inflexible and couldn't do a forward roll no matter how much she tried! I don't think she liked it that much), and the class stopped running soon after. My coach said we could join her artistic gymnastics classes instead. I did that for about a year, and I really loved it too. I never got really good at it, but it was really fun. Unfortunately I eventually stopped going because my sister quit, and at the time I was quite shy to go on my own, and also lazy to do the long train trip there alone. Also, I think I was quite consumed in my other interests at the time like vintage fashion design and 60s/70s rockstars!

One of my sister and I's favourite parts from gymnastics and cheerleading had been the flexibility parts. We had dreams of being contortion twins in a rock n roll circus. We went through quite a few phases where we stretched for an hour in the garage every day together, but we never kept it up for more than a week usually! Laughing What a. shame. It was fun though, we listened to music and used the many mattresses in the garage as trampolines. I got super close to having my left leg split.

When I was eighteen I tried things like ballet, circus and yoga, but I couldn't decide which thing I really wanted to focus my time on. A lot of things seemed interesting. My Mum suggested RG, because she thought it would suit me better than artistic gymnastics. At the time I didn't really know much about what it was.

When I was nineteen I learned more about RG (I forget how) and I thought it seemed really cool! I liked how it combined elements of lots of things that I like, like artistic gymnastics, ballet, contortion and circus tricks. I Thought the routines were so amazing, and I loved how it reminded me of dancing like a fairy or being in a sailor moon transformation scene Laughing I looked into joining a class, and unfortunately a place which used to have beginner classes for teenagers and adults had just shut down. I started classes at another place, with kids a lot younger than me. I really liked learning RG, but shortly after I began I unexpectedly had to move to a remote island off of Tasmania that wasn't near any classes.

I came back to Brisbane a year later and joined the classes again. Yet again, I really liked it, but it was a bit slow to learn because it was the little girls in my level teaching me the skills a lot of the time. I think I didn't attend class often enough too, because I got distracted by "life" things like my first love Embarassed The place I was learning at was quite expensive, and after I lost my job a term later I had to stop going.

The next year, when I was 21, I started doing RG again at another place I found that was far less expensive. One of my good friends from artschool went with me too since it was near her house. It was fun and our coach was really lovely, but I don't think we learned that much because the classes weren't very structured and we only went once a week.

When I was 22, our classes stopped completely because my coach got sick and moved interstate. She's okay now though! At one point the other RG club I used to go to started offering adult classes, but they stopped after 2 classes cause there weren't enough people Sad That year I learned a bit of ballet and tap dancing with my friends.

Now this year, i'm 23. I'd basically given up on doing RG, but I found out that the less expensive club I went to that shut down was re-opening. I e-mailed them to ask about the classes, and it turned out the new coach was the same lady from the other place I used to go. She's really nice and a really good teacher. They'd also moved location to a place that was far easier to catch a bus to. A lot of the same girls from the other place had moved to this one too. It's a really late age to start, but it's been really lovely to have the chance to learn RG more seriously this year! I've been practicing 8 hours a week, and I entered my first competition recently! I'll enter another one in a month. I really love it. I'm slowllly but continuously improving. I'm really close to having my right and left splits, I've become a lot more muscular, my posture's better, and I'm not naturally graceful, but I'm getting better at my routines gradually! I really hope I can get better at pivots soon. I think higher level routines are so pretty and impressive, they're a cool thing to keep working towards. One thing I think I really like about RG is that it is a bit more serious than doing something like a one hour adult ballet class every week. Everyone in level 3 and up goes for 8 hours and up. It makes catching the bus out to a class a lot more worthwhile to me if it's longer than an hour!

I think it's such a fun kind of exercise, I wish it was something more adults did too. I tried to get two of my friends to join with me, but both didn't come back after a trial class Sad The girls in my low level (level 3) are about 8-12, and they're very sweet, but I do feel slightly embarrassed being of place! (It helps that I look quite young so I don't look *as* out of place.) I think it's worth it to have the chance to learn RG though Smile Everyone who's been teaching me has been really nice about it. I'll feel such a sense of achievement if I ever get to level 4 or 5. That probably isn't very high to some of you, but it'd be special for me. I guess I have a few years left to try to do this, because I don't finish university for a few more years.

I'm curious to ask, is there anyone else here who started RG when they were an adult or in their late teens?
xSleepingAwakex

PostPosted: Wed, 25-Jun-2014 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

moon kitten wrote:

I'm curious to ask, is there anyone else here who started RG when they were an adult or in their late teens?

Me. Wink But there are no clubs here for those who started that late, so I'm training alone.
moon kitten

PostPosted: Thu, 26-Jun-2014 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSleepingAwakex wrote:
moon kitten wrote:

Me. Wink But there are no clubs here for those who started that late, so I'm training alone.

That's a shame there aren't any near you. But wow, good on you for training anyway!
xSleepingAwakex

PostPosted: Thu, 26-Jun-2014 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

moon kitten wrote:
xSleepingAwakex wrote:
moon kitten wrote:

That's a shame there aren't any near you. But wow, good on you for training anyway!

Thanks! Wink

Yes, it is a shame, as I've heard here are countries when you can start RG whenever you like.
Dutchflexiboy

PostPosted: Wed, 23-Jul-2014 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wish I could join rhythmic gymnastic but in my country only females and girls are allowed. I know RG is a very underrated sport. Most people in my country only train their muscles to get more strength, but most people don't train their flexibility and that's a pity. RG has this two elements together, it's makes you stronger and much more flexible, but It's also good for your balance, that's why I love gymnastics and so i'm interested in RG too. When I see RG video's, I'm often very suprised how much energy girls have, especially when they are young. In yoga it's said you're only as young as your body is flexible, that's what I believe and that's why I like flexibility sports, because I believe it's good for your health.

Just because it's not possible for me to join rhythmic gymnastic, that doesn't mean I can't train my flexibility and so now I practice Yin Yoga every day.

Sorry if my english is bad Smile
Justin

PostPosted: Sat, 2-Aug-2014 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was actually about to ask from what country you are from, but I think I didn't read your username properly Razz.

I think in here, at latest, girls join at the age of lets say 12-13, but not really older than that.

Myself, I never really practised RG. I am just a follower since 1992 (die-hard since 1997). Does that count too?
Dutchflexiboy

PostPosted: Sun, 3-Aug-2014 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, another Dutchman here in this forum

Yes, I think you are right.

Quote:
Myself, I never really practised RG. I am just a follower since 1992 (die-hard since 1997). Does that count too?

No Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: