Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strength and flexibility exercises...

View previous topic | View next topic  
MartinS

PostPosted: Sun, 31-Aug-2008 18:04    Post subject: Strength and flexibility exercises... Reply with quote

Hi:

As you all maybe know (see my profile), I practise yoga and Tai chi chuan. I want to improve my flexibility as well as my strength and I want to go into acrobatics. Therefore, I want to use the great RG training exercises. I'm looking for the following exercises:

Flexibility exercises
- Upper back
- Lower back
- Front splits (both legs)
- Straddle splits
- Front Oversplits
- Straddle Oversplits

Strength exercises
- Arms
- Torso
- Legs
- Ankles (if possible)

Although I have a girlfriend (Nadine) that could help me, all the exercises have to be active ones Exclamation That means exercises that I can practise on my own - independent Exclamation

I used the search function, but I wasn't able to find anything. Confused Crying or Very sad Maybe you could give me the photos / videos or rather their links! Advices and tips relating to training experience (exercises etc.) would be very nice, too.

You need NOT be worried Exclamation I'm "experienced" relating to stretching. A few years ago I could perform front splits (both legs), cobra arches and straddle splits. Unfortunately, I had to stop immediately because of a soccer accident. Crying or Very sad

Therefore, you can give me even hard advanced exercises (flexibility and strength), too Exclamation

Thanks a lot and greetings,

Martin
Janita

PostPosted: Sun, 31-Aug-2008 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved it to the correct subforum.
MartinS

PostPosted: Sun, 31-Aug-2008 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for moving my topic to the correct subforum, Janita Exclamation Very Happy I wasn't very sure, if The Gym section or the Code of Points section is the correct subforum. Confused Embarassed I chose the Code of Points one at first because The Gym section is described as the "news" section.

Thanks a lot for your help, once again Exclamation Very Happy

Greetings,

Martin
MartinS

PostPosted: Fri, 5-Sep-2008 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no exercises Question Exclamation Shocked Wow Exclamation Do you train at all Question Question Question Shocked
Ola

PostPosted: Sat, 6-Sep-2008 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to another forum which has a few tips on stretching, exercises etc. There is a topic on it about flexibility help, which has a good link about splits exercises and discussion.

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/question-answer/

I'm not sure if these are the kind of thing you are looking for or not photowise -

The exercise of Chaschina should help with the hip flexors and the Kazakova stretch works the lower back flexibility and hamstrings. Both these exercises should help the legs work towards the splits.

If those are the type of photos you'd like there is a topic here with training pictures which can give you ideas for more exercises/warm-ups etc and I also find them good inspiration. There are some pics of just about all splits ranges, so you can first use the normal splits pictures, then as flexibility grows start to use the oversplits pictures for more ideas. http://rsg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9638&highlight=training

Hope this can help you Very Happy
MartinS

PostPosted: Sun, 14-Sep-2008 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the stretching tips! Very Happy
Aimeee

PostPosted: Fri, 10-Oct-2008 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Back: backbends! once you are down in a bridge, walk your hands as close as possible, grabbing your ankles if you can. if grabbing your ankles, you can try to walk a little, or if just on the floor, rock gently back and forth.
- Splits: do a lunge on the floor, bend and grab the back foot, hold, straight leg, bend forward, slide in, arch back and forward. if in middle, once you are in position, lie on your stomach and then straddle through when done. you should hold each for three to five minutes if you really want a good stretch or a minute if you're just starting. remember to square your hips. if you can't get all the way down on a front split, try holding your arms above your head and staying for as long as possible.
- over splits: same thing, just place your foot on an object suitable for your stretch. you can put a pad under your ankle if using a hard surface like a wood chair.

- Arms: go in a plank (pushup position) and make sure you are a straight line. your head should be in line with your body too. hold it for 2 minutes. then raise one leg 45 degrees and hold. switch legs.
- Torso-v-ups and hollow holds! take the v-ups 50 at a time, allowing a rest after 25 or keep going if you can. if you don't know what they are, hollow holds have you lying on your back, your head and shoulders off the ground and legs lowered to 45 degrees if possible, but higher if you have trouble. hands can go above your head or by your legs if you need it.
- Ankles (if possible): flex, point, flex, point. movement is basically it. i like to play a game where i move my ankle to draw letters of the alphabet, using cursive for a challenge, and repeat it as many times as i can without rest. then switch ankles. i like this because you can use it anytime!
Dutchflexiboy

PostPosted: Mon, 29-Sep-2014 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin Yoga is what I can recommend. In Yin Yoga you learn to breath right way while you hold the poses for 2-5 minutes. It brings you in a very deep relaxed state while flexibility increase dramatically.

Sitting in the splits while you're in tension and pain or in a very deep meditative/relaxed state are two different things. First is unhealthy, second is very healthy. Listen to your body is very important!

Here you can see how incredible flexible yin yoga(and also kung fu) master is Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsoULurykf8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypax7esDXGQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: