Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2016 Espoo World Cup (Feb. 26-28)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results
View previous topic | View next topic  
psrgomes08

PostPosted: Tue, 1-Mar-2016 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this hate towards Son and how she is a "mediocre" gymnasts reminds me a lot of Joanna Mitrosz. Does anyone remember her? She had what people said were "basic routines" but she always managed to score in the top ten because she had something other gymnasts lacked: consistency. The same thing happens with Son: her routines might not be so amazing as other gymnasts but she is consistent.
mentola83

PostPosted: Wed, 2-Mar-2016 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

psrgomes08 wrote:
All this hate towards Son and how she is a "mediocre" gymnasts reminds me a lot of Joanna Mitrosz. Does anyone remember her? She had what people said were "basic routines" but she always managed to score in the top ten because she had something other gymnasts lacked: consistency. The same thing happens with Son: her routines might not be so amazing as other gymnasts but she is consistent.

Exactly my dear, She is giving us Joana Mitros realness (illness). Basic stuff,huge smile, only the legs are not this long.
susana

PostPosted: Thu, 3-Mar-2016 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

psrgomes08 wrote:

Well, I think this is a bad example here... There was a clear corruption case regarding to her and one judge (or President of some committe... I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of this woman but I'm sure someone in this forum knows) was banned for this. Btw, I'd like to know more about it, I read an article about it was, it'd be great if I could see it again.

It was so obvious there was bad judging that everybody saw it. But, as I always say, it's NEVER the gymnast fault (unless we ever hear any of them payed the judges directly or something like that, which I don't think will ever happen). So please, stop attacking the girls. They just fight their asses out to be in this amazing level, they deserve all our respect even though they're sometimes overscored.
susana

PostPosted: Thu, 3-Mar-2016 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the whole problem here is that, unfortunately, this is a subjetive sport. There's a code of points but the subject decisions are inevitable. One of the big mistakes is "normal fans" don't really know how the code works (and I'm totally one of them). I'm not even sure if it's really available on internet. But anyways there should be more information about how it works and how the judges make their decisions (like publishing their notes and file cards), so we could be sure they did it according to the rules. That would make us all a little bit more objetive, even though this is an artistic sport and therefore emotional, so we'll always have personal preferences and will have strong feelings towards the gymnasts and their results.

BUT, they don't do it because corruption is very easy to get in this sport. And there are many actors in this play who really want it to be this way. So it's really difficult for fans or even National Federations to change that, as long as we don't have any power. You know, like everthing else in life, including MUCH more important matters than sport...

Something else I'd like to point out is that RG is followed by children in a big proportion. Most of the active gymnasts around the world are underage. I'm surprised of how many 10-13 year old children are using the social network... So, when I get so pissed about people being so rude, disrespectful and inmature, I try to think that most of them are actually children and they'll grow up soon (I really hope they mature, for the sake of the sport).

Anyway, as I said before, we all have our opinion and preferences. We all have favourites who we prefer to see on the podium, so we don't want to see them make mistakes and when they do... We should make an effort and admit this time she just doesn't deserve it.

I'm among those who think Son is overscored. But not because of her technique, not at all! I just see her performances boring (which may not be totally her fault, but her coache's) and I think this sport is also about beauty and emotions. But, once again, if we really knew how important it is regarding to the code of points, then we could be satisfied and admit they're actually being fair. I don't know... What I know is corruption is about money and she trains in the richest country (used for RG) in the world, with the President of the Federation being the wife of one of the richest men of earth. So, with Son and many other examples, I come to my conclusions...
Cameron Pegg

PostPosted: Sat, 12-Mar-2016 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall, Mitrosz (who was Polish) appeared to benefit given there was a high-ranking Polish judge (on the technical committee, if I'm not mistaken). Justin/Jon can confirm!

Mitrosz was consistent, and she did perform skills that suited her body type and skill base. But yes - many fans saw a large gap between what they "saw" and what she scored. Similar comments were made about Weber at the time.

With Son, I agree that her routines appear safe compared to those who usually stand on the podium. That said, she has become incredibly consistent, and beyond that, her body work is very clean. She has also been training in Russia for years, so there's "brand recall" there among the judges, if I may be so obtuse!

I think she is performing at her peak, and a medal in Rio could happen..
Hoops and Grand Fouettes

PostPosted: Wed, 23-Mar-2016 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recorded and uploaded the Korean coverage: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVH5-auxUQepEaMw4KG8ELo2PKZ9rKhnu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: