Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
NikkiNoo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Mar-2006 11:31    Post subject: Avatars and Signature Pictures Reply with quote

Dear All,

The other moderators and I have had a discussion over the last week regarding the avatar sizes and also the pictures that people have in their 'signature' line.

We are kindly asking you all to remove any pictures in the signature line as they are very distracting for reading the board, plus they are using up valuable bandwidth on the site. They make the board very slow for people who come here to read the messages who have slow internet connections.

Regarding the Avatar sizes - we have had a policy of avatars being 80x80 pixels in size. I know that some people want bigger ones and have been linking to sites elsewhere so that they can have the picture they want, but again these are too big and distracting for people wanting to read the Board, making the pages open very slowly or even causing the Board to not function / be able to open.

This is a message board for discussion about RG and other things, so please keep this in mind.

If anyone needs any help in resizing an avatar or picture I would be happy to help.

Thank you

Nikki

el canguro español
tigrenoir

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Mar-2006 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many forum, the avatar size are 200 per 150 : I think it's a good size for an avatar in a forum : not too big and not too small. All my avatar are in this size (except one with Natalya Kuchynskaya)

I have also deleted the photo of Oksana in my signature

www.lucduval.net : my galery

Last edited by tigrenoir on Wed, 8-Mar-2006 17:04; edited 1 time in total
Kaja =)

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Mar-2006 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

l have removed the pic in my signature, and l think its OK, because we don't need "2 avatars". But l think that 80x80 is too small... l don't think avatars in sizes like Tigrenoir's or mine are too big. Confused
Upy

PostPosted: Wed, 8-Mar-2006 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this announcement, I've changed my avatar with a smaller one. But, I have to agree with Kaja when saying 80x80's are simply too small. Why have an avatar, if you can't see anything?
And I agree that big signatures pics are a bit disturbing Confused
Diana

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've changed the size of my avatar too. In my opinion, Kaja's avatar is the ideal size, but it's only my opinion Smile
NikkiNoo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethinha, The problem with Kaja's is the length of her avatar mainly - when you post a one or two line message and have an avatar that is long it makes reading the next message hard.

I thank those that have started to comply but I would say that they are still a little too wide and long for my liking.

This is a Message Board after all. We come here to read the messages and discuss the sport we love, swap ideas and share things. Avatars are a nice thing to have but it's not about who can have a nice picture, it's all about the discussion.

el canguro español
katkat

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with nikki and the rest of the staff Smile. some avatars and signatures were quite big.

k
Diana

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikkiNoo wrote:
Lethinha, The problem with Kaja's is the length of her avatar mainly - when you post a one or two line message and have an avatar that is long it makes reading the next message hard.

I thank those that have started to comply but I would say that they are still a little too wide and long for my liking.

This is a Message Board after all. We come here to read the messages and discuss the sport we love, swap ideas and share things. Avatars are a nice thing to have but it's not about who can have a nice picture, it's all about the discussion.

Yes, you're right.. I was saying that but I don't have idea of the space you have to his forum, I'm sorry Rolling Eyes
And you're right again when you said we are here to share ideas, points of view, impressions, etc, and the avatar is just a "desnecessary" thing Smile
I'll put mine in 80x80 Smile
tigrenoir

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikkiNoo wrote:

Well, I have all my RG avatar in 80x80, but it's very tiny

I think 150 x 200 are the best size for an avatar

www.lucduval.net : my galery
Storm
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Thu, 9-Mar-2006 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god.. so I have to resize mine? ...I think large avatars are worse than high ones but later I'll see what to do.. Sad
Mourmaline

PostPosted: Sat, 18-Mar-2006 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't know about this topic...no wonder I was seeing everyones avatar all small.....oh well....I'll re-seize mine as soon as I can Smile
*rotkwicca*

PostPosted: Mon, 20-Mar-2006 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a fresh member here and yesterday I decided to finally get me an avatar. I made like 15 different ones sized 80x80 and after trying them all out, i stopped seeing the point of an avatar so small, so i quitted the idea of having one at all Very Happy.
What im trying to say is, we don't have to have avatars too big (I do know myself how it feels when you have dial up connection, and try to open a page filled with 300X300 avatars Rolling Eyes ), but just a little bigger than 80x80 would make a huge difference. I just realized that i actually remember some people here by avatars without even trying to remember their names, when you see the avatar you know it all. For exp, I only noticed yesterday that Storm's nick was Storm, i remembered her by her higly memorable and cool avatar. If it was sized so smal as 80x80 noone would see what is on the photo, and we lose visual recognition of members. In the end, discussion IS the most important matter, but viewable avatars do make a difference when identifiying the member who posts.
gymnast stefie

PostPosted: Fri, 7-Apr-2006 2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigrenoir wrote:
NikkiNoo wrote:

Well, I have all my RG avatar in 80x80, but it's very tiny

I think 150 x 200 are the best size for an avatar

I agree!!! or even 100 x 150 or something just a little bit larger than 80 x 80
Alexander
RSG.net Webmaster
RSG.net Webmaster

PostPosted: Wed, 31-May-2006 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I increased the size to 120 x 160 and 20 kB per picture.
gymnast stefie

PostPosted: Wed, 31-May-2006 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander wrote:
I increased the size to 120 x 160 and 20 kB per picture.

Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » RSG.net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: