Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any age "too late"?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
chrissie

PostPosted: Sat, 12-May-2007 23:00    Post subject: Any age "too late"? Reply with quote

Is there any age that you think is too old or it's too late to start rhythmic gymnastics?

Because most people start at 6 or 7...and the latest I've seen is 12.
Janita

PostPosted: Sun, 13-May-2007 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what you're goal is. In our club we have a girl who started at the age of 19 !!! of course not the highest level, but still high level. But i must say she has done ballet and dance all the time, so the flexibility she had already.
kelcee

PostPosted: Tue, 15-May-2007 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only started 2 years ago, at the age of 14, and I'm going national level next year. I'd say there probably is an age that is too old to start but really depends on what you want to achieve from the sport.
Sasta33

PostPosted: Tue, 15-May-2007 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone else said, it depends on what you want to achieve from gymnastics. If your goal is to have fun and maybe go to some competitions, than I don't think any age is too late, as long as the person is relatively physically fit. I didn't start rhythmic until I was thirteen, even though I had done artistic gymnastics for a long time beforehand. The main thing is to take classes and see how you feel with it. If you think you can push yourself a little and try competing, than see what happens. Just keep working on it. It's not so much about natural talent or age, but how much work the person is willing to put in. Work hard, and you'll see results.

What kind of goals do you have? Like, what do you want to achieve in RG? That will help you figure out how to go about it, and determines whether the sport will be a hobby in your life, or a serious part of it. But definitely try rhythmic, because this is a sport that needs more enthusiastic participants, especially older ones. I'd rather see a hundred gymnasts in their twenties who really love being a part of the sport, than a thousand young kids who are overworked and over-stretched. Very Happy
RGgurrl

PostPosted: Mon, 2-Jul-2007 21:39    Post subject: Any age "too late"? Reply with quote

In my opinion, starting competition at age 3 or 4 (even though in the USA they would count you as exhibition) is a little ridiculous. on the other hand, Having a sixteen year old be a level 3 is a little ridiculous. If you have done ballet, Artistic gymnastics, or acro, you probably have a chance of getting to a higher level no matter what age you are. One girl in our region who is 15/16 is already going to Junior Olympics (nationals in USA for lvls 6-Cool and this is her first year.
RGgurrl

PostPosted: Mon, 2-Jul-2007 22:04    Post subject: any age "too late" Reply with quote

sorry. the smiley face is ment to be an 8.
2gym

PostPosted: Tue, 3-Jul-2007 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started RG at age 11, after 6 years in AG. After 1 year of practice I made it to the Nationals for my level. I am not the oldest at my level. My coaches are very nice and helped me to learn the apparatus. I like RG because it is more creative and I do not have the AG injuries. I may not make it to the very high levels, but I like RG and I will practice as long as I enjoy it.
RGgurrl

PostPosted: Tue, 3-Jul-2007 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over when I was 9 after 2 years of AG for 2 reasons:
a. I was a 5 foot tall 3rd grader who couldnt get myself over the bars
b. rhythmics gives you more creativity and freedom to choreograph different styles of dance and music.
Unfortunately, I did not make it to nationals this year (I got a low score in hoop because i did not catch the hoop toss at the end of the routine, it went rolling around the whole floor!)I was 3rd alternate. The team I was with was not the best team in the world. My coach taught me some bad rhythmic habits with technique and apparatus handling. she also yelled ALOT. but i am not doing RG anymore with my current coach. I am switching over.
kbf12

PostPosted: Fri, 31-Aug-2007 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im 13 and i would like to start rhythmic but i think i am to old...i have done ag for 3 years and im naturally flexible but i think i would be embaressed being so old just starting out...
Gabs

PostPosted: Fri, 31-Aug-2007 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started when I was 13 and obviously I'm never going to be the best in the country or anything but I enjoy gym so much so it has been totally worth it for me. So if you think you will enjoy gym and get something out of it then I say go for it and start, even though you're 13!
katkat

PostPosted: Fri, 31-Aug-2007 10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think 40 is a bit late! 80 is too late. Wink

but seriously, i know a girl who also started in the whereabouts of 13, shes flexible by nature, and she competed at the top level. and i know a lot of little gymnasts (that train on a lower level and are ages 8 - 12) who i know could make it to the top level if coaches there wouldnt be so insanely in love with the idea that one needs to start at 4 or they can never get to the top level.

with some talent, a lot of work and a positive attitude you can get very far.

cheers
k
kbf12

PostPosted: Fri, 31-Aug-2007 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!!! your words have really encourged me now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sasta33

PostPosted: Sun, 9-Sep-2007 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbf12 wrote:
thanks!!! your words have really encourged me now Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just keep trying and remember that age is only a number, and should never determine whether you should participate in an activity that you love.

Best of luck to you, and remember to enjoy every minute!! Very Happy
sofia

PostPosted: Mon, 10-Sep-2007 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Greece one of the girls of the our group in Sydney, where Greece was bronze medalist, started at the age of 12.
If I am not mistaken Tamara Yerofeeva started rhythmic gymnastics at the age of 14....so GO ON!!! If you love it and you are going to work hard ...GO ON!
maddylovesrg

PostPosted: Tue, 11-Sep-2007 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started 12 weeks ago just after i turned 15, and i'm doing level 5. But i had done wag, tramp and national stream acro before, so i knew a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: