Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any age "too late"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
FLEXI-LEXI

PostPosted: Tue, 11-Sep-2007 18:41    Post subject: hey girl Reply with quote

I know a girl that started a year and a half ago she was twelve and she got 2nd place at junior olympics this year. Wink
Shintaisou

PostPosted: Thu, 15-Nov-2007 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I don't know if you really can put an age limit. I think everyone can if just the power of will is there (that sound so cheesy Mr. Green ). And sure, some natural flexibility and grace obviously helps.

Though, go to a gym at age 46 and say "I wanna be a rhythmic gymnast!!", is a bit awkward.
Anoollka

PostPosted: Wed, 19-Dec-2007 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

kelcee wrote:
I only started 2 years ago, at the age of 14, and I'm going national level next year. I'd say there probably is an age that is too old to start but really depends on what you want to achieve from the sport.

congratulations Smile you gave me a hope ! I've started training rg when I was 14 too ! but I'm lazy and I'm not good. However, I continue to training Rolling Eyes
Sanne

PostPosted: Wed, 19-Dec-2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="2gym"]I started RG at age 11, after 6 years in AG.

I did exactly the same, first year I trained 1 hour a week, the year after that I started training 5 hours a week. The 3th year I was in the National Team and got 2nd on the highest level for juniors, behind Anna Pobokova. The next years I was 3th or 2nd and one time first. I only trained 12 hours but achieved a lot. So, if you want you can start late.

Greetings, Sanne
bebeballerina

PostPosted: Sat, 22-Dec-2007 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's no hope for me, I'm already 21. I'm a dancer with flexible legs but I can't do oversplits. If I stand on one leg and raise the other above my head to the front or side, I can get it to hit my head but not any further Sad There was never any need to go further in ballet so I didn't push any harder than that and now I'm old and decrepit. And my back has always been like a brick wall.

Honestly, if I were to go to the RG gym in my area (there happens to be one about an hour away...I think Lisa Wang trains there??) I'd be more interested in learning the apparatus handling. Flexibility is awesome but I feel like the apparatus stuff is more of a skill. Of course I won't be able to do most of the stuff because I'm not flexible enough, haha Laughing
Janita

PostPosted: Sat, 22-Dec-2007 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still can learn many nice skills with apparatus without being overflexible. For example, to make two rolls under two clubs you don't need any flexibility, like this many other stuff exist. But as you did ballet and from what i read still have flexible legs, there is a lot to try. For. example. to make something with apparatus during balance, pivot. So why don't you give it a try? Not to become champion of USA, but to learn a lot with apparatus.

But one hour away ... in Belgian terms that is very far ... (but of course Belgium is very very very small)
Alicena

PostPosted: Sun, 23-Dec-2007 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ll begin with RG next month and ì don`t have much hope. i`m 17
i have done ballet and AG but in a low level. i can do oversplit with just one leg. and, i don`t know... if i do well i`ll tell you Very Happy
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun, 23-Dec-2007 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shintaisou wrote:
Though, go to a gym at age 46 and say "I wanna be a rhythmic gymnast!!", is a bit awkward.

Not necessarily, in Canada there is a lady who gives classes for old ladies Wink
bebeballerina

PostPosted: Mon, 24-Dec-2007 7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janita wrote:
you still can learn many nice skills with apparates without being overflexible. For example. to make two rolls under two clubs you don't need any flexibility, like this many other stuff exist. But as you did ballet and from what i read still have flexible legs, there is a lot to try. For. example. to make something with apparatus during balance, pivot. So why don't you give it a try? Not to become champion of USA, but to learn a lot with apparatus.

But one hour away ... in Belgian terms that is very far ... (but of course Belgium is very very very small)

Yes, when I finish my degree, I will try to find some spare time to go to the gym and do some of the non-flexibility things, as well as balances, pirouettes, etc. Maybe a back walkover or two (I used to do AG) Smile Also, I would normally find an hour pretty inconvenient, but since there are hardly any RG gyms in the US, I think it's pretty lucky that there happens to be one within driving distance Smile
fashiondesigner552

PostPosted: Wed, 26-Dec-2007 5:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends if ur family has had dance experience. my family didnt. so when I started at 10, it took me 4 years just to be as flexible as the other girls. of course, if i didn't push myself my flexibility never would've happened. if i had slacked off like the other girls (who were already flexible) my skill level would never have been at par.
Sasta33

PostPosted: Wed, 26-Dec-2007 17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alicena wrote:
i`ll begin with RG next month and ì don`t have much hope. i`m 17
i have done ballet and AG but in a low level. i can do oversplit with just one leg. and, i don`t know... if i do well i`ll tell you Very Happy

Just try your best. I know it seems like a lot of work to start a sport later in life, but you have every right to do rhythmic, so don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Very Happy

I'm sure you will do fine. I still do rhythmic (I started at age 13) and I'm 22. I'm not at the top level and I never will be, but I have had so much fun over these past 9 years that I wouldn't trade it for the world. Rhythmic gymnastics has given me so much joy--the competitions, the shows, and even just training-- that I couldn't imagine never participating in it. The level you reach in the sport doesn't matter--it's the enjoyment you get from being a part of it.

Always give something you enjoy a good effort. Regrets feel terrible. It would be so sad to look back when you're older and wish, "If only I had tried rhythmic while I still could..."

So give it your all, and I wish you the best of luck! Very Happy
katielou

PostPosted: Mon, 14-Jan-2008 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started RG when i was 13. i started in level 4 and now im 15 and doing level 6, maybe 7 this year, so it's not like i'm elite, but i'm doing well. because i have already been dancing for a while and am already flexible, i'm around the same age as most the other girls in my level.

oooh...but also, my COACH started when she was 14, started assisting at 16, then took a year off at 18 and became my teams coach at 19.
RhythmicWonder

PostPosted: Wed, 5-Mar-2008 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started when i was 13 and i do competitions and stuff like that, so it's never to late unless your really old Wink
carlabunyan

PostPosted: Mon, 3-Nov-2008 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about to start as didn't have the opportunity before. I'm nearly 18. I used to do international sports acrobatics (third in European Championships) when i was 11 and can still do most things. What i have noticed is that before, when i was 11, i found my back the hardest to stretch. Now its my box splits, it hurts alot but my mother reckons that's because of my age.
Kaycee

PostPosted: Wed, 5-Nov-2008 4:37    Post subject: Re: Any age "too late"? Reply with quote

chrissie wrote:
Is there any age that you think is too old or it's too late to start rhythmic gymnastics?

Because most people start at 6 or 7...and the latest I've seen is 12.

If it's for fun, any age.
But if you are training to go to the Olympics I don't think you should go in any later than 13 years old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: