Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any age "too late"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
RGribbonqueen

PostPosted: Wed, 14-Jan-2009 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 13 and i started contortion training a while back, and then started RG and then ballet (all in the space of about 10 weeks haha)
It wasnt to late for me but i was born flexible so it makes it slightly easier.
I think as long as you enjoy it and your able to do RG, you should Smile
nai

PostPosted: Wed, 14-Jan-2009 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did RG from 5 to 11...because I have back problems, I miss it!
Heidsta xxx

PostPosted: Fri, 16-Jan-2009 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am going to start RG and i am 12. There is no real age limit Wink
Marts85

PostPosted: Fri, 16-Jan-2009 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that you can learn tricks and handling at any age but it's not the same for flexibility, especially back flexibility is very difficult to learn if you are not a girl anymore.
RGribbonqueen

PostPosted: Sat, 17-Jan-2009 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out about RG about 10 weeks ago, and since that ive trained 6 - 9 hours a day. Before i stated i was totaly unflexible but in that 10 weeks ive been able to do, left and right splits, over splits, needle scales (if thats the right word), and i can do a 'cobra' with my head nearly touching my butt. And im 13, and i do not go to a club/have a coach (there is none near me for 100's of miles) But it guess it does help that i was born with the ability to learn incredibly fast and obviously some natural flexibility.
But if i can do that in 10 weeks at 13, then i think any age is a good time to start Smile
Kabaeva-fan

PostPosted: Mon, 16-Feb-2009 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I started RG when I was twelve (I reach this year 14) and with hard work I've became quite good... =) and I couldn't do even a split or cartwheel before I started RG. Now I can do them and also oversplit ;D And I also go to ballet each week.

I started training at group about 3 weeks ago... and I strech at home about 1-2 hours a day. At summer holiday I practise with apparatuses about 1-3 hours + streching (:

Sorry for my bad English...
Youandi

PostPosted: Mon, 16-Feb-2009 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when you start training your flexibility above the age of 20 it could be too late. but for the handling there is no too late age
rglvl4grl1994

PostPosted: Thu, 19-Feb-2009 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i started RG when i was 13 BUT
i did ballet from when i was 1.5-8 and then i did jazz from when i was 6-8 i did tap all the years i did ballet and then lyrical for like half a month Sad
but i was so advanced for my age that when i was 6 i was with the 12-13 year old and when i was 8 i was with the 13-14 year olds Sad
Sapphire

PostPosted: Mon, 8-Jun-2009 0:57    Post subject: Re: Any age "too late"? Reply with quote

If you've seen yoga and pilates classes, you'd find that even for flexibility it's never too late. It could take you longer to gain extreme flexibility but it is far from unattainable and definitely not impossible. The main reason you don't see many people starting sports at an older age is because they THINK they can't. But that is starting to change. During this past Olympic games, at least here in the states a country known for focusing on youth only, was actually focusing a lot on the athletes in general that were in their 30's and 40s.
I've seen more gyms offer both rhythmic and artistic to adults. Most young gymnasts don't leave gymnastics due to age necessarily but due to the beatings the sport has ALREADY taken on their body over their younger years. There are adult allstar cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, tennis, etc, teams. I have heard quite a few places that rhythmic is a sport where it's athletes stay longer and a sport where many prefer to watch the older gymnasts. I think the reasons were discussed previously in this board and to no offense to younger gymnasts.
I'll end this with a very great quote from Dara Torres,
"Don't put an age limit on your dreams."
Saunatyttö

PostPosted: Tue, 23-Jun-2009 20:58    Post subject: Re: Any age "too late"? Reply with quote

Quote:
"Don't put an age limit on your dreams."

I couldn´t agree more!!! I started last month ( after century of waiting ) and even I know I will never compete I will learn so many things and in my case it can only make me happier and more proud!!!
Only few people HAVE OPPORTUNITY to make it to the top I thing everyone else should enjoy if you are already doing it! So no limits Very Happy
I am 25 by the way!
Sapphire

PostPosted: Wed, 24-Jun-2009 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never say never. If competing is what you want to do, by all means go for it.
Muffins0012

PostPosted: Mon, 17-Aug-2009 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

2gym wrote:
I started RG at age 11, after 6 years in AG. After 1 year of practice I made it to the Nationals for my level. I am not the oldest at my level. My coaches are very nice and helped me to learn the apparatus. I like RG because it is more creative and I do not have the AG injuries. I may not make it to the very high levels, but I like RG and I will practice as long as I enjoy it.

I started RG at 11, too. Did dancing(ballet,tap,jazz) for 7 years and quit. I'm the eldest in my club too. Smile But Im trying to aim for the Olympics

Last edited by Muffins0012 on Wed, 19-Aug-2009 2:19; edited 1 time in total
Muffins0012

PostPosted: Mon, 17-Aug-2009 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

rglvl4grl1994 wrote:
well, i started RG when i was 13 BUT
i did ballet from when i was 1.5-8 and then i did jazz from when i was 6-8 i did tap all the years i did ballet and then lyrical for like half a month Sad
but i was so advanced for my age that when i was 6 i was with the 12-13 year old and when i was 8 i was with the 13-14 year olds Sad

What's so sad about it?
sora-chan2

PostPosted: Thu, 20-Aug-2009 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started doing RG last year in July when I was 13, doing 2 hours a week, the only experience I had was 1 year of general gym once a week in 2007 and some ballet classes when I was about 5 Confused Now Im doing competitive (I've only done 1 competition so far though Laughing ) and have improved quite a lot in 1 year if I do say so myself Wink I was worried I was too old when I started but you just need to work hard and you'll catch up Mr. Green

http://www.youtube.com/princessiero2
Ask me a question!
http://www.formspring.me/toastqueen
RibbonToss

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Aug-2014 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sapphire. Good inspirational words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: