Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of language do you speak?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
bebeballerina

PostPosted: Mon, 29-Oct-2007 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

English is my first language, and I also studied 5 years of Spanish in school. I really want to learn French! All I know is "Bonjour", "Oui", and all the ballet words.

I speak decent Chinese, but I can't read/write it very well. Here in the US, almost all American-born Chinese are sent to Chinese school once a week until 8th grade or so. I think Chinese school (and my friends would probably agree with me) is one of the most despicable memories from my childhood. I remember spending many hours crying in frustration over the reading and writing homeworks...What's worse is that all that work was in vain, because we've all forgotten everything we learned there. So unfortunately I can only read and write the most basic Chinese (Taiwanese/Traditional, not Simplified).
bebeballerina

PostPosted: Mon, 29-Oct-2007 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

FaerieDevilish wrote:
Guillermo wrote:

I was also interested in learning Chinese, but I must be realistic and try to use my scarce free time in a reasonable way.

I thought the same as well, but I don't think that Chinese is precisely the way we picture it. The part I find the hardest is learning the symbols, which is important, but I have learned a lot in the months I've been in Chinese course. I am sure that, if you study it for two years, you can have a fair conversation with someone in it.

In my humble opinion, the most difficult part of Chinese is the pronunciation. The Chinese characters are difficult to learn only because there's so many, so it's essentially straight memorization (which of course is a pain, don't get me wrong). However, I really think that it's the 4 tones that sets Chinese apart. They are very difficult to get if you didn't grow up speaking them. For example "Hi/How are you" is "Ni hao", which seems simple enough to say in English. After all it's only two syllables, and there's no tongue rolling or guttural throat sounds. But my friends always say it with a thick accent no matter how many times they try to get it right, because they're not used to the tones. "Ni" is the second tone (on its own it's the third tone) and "hao" is the third tone.

I'm not sure how Chinese teachers approach this with people learning Chinese for the first time, but in my opinion, you could use the sounds from your native language to help you learn the tones. For ex), say the word "Rhythmic." The first syllable "Rhyth" is sort of in the neutral first tone, and the second syllable "mic" is kind of similar to the fourth tone. They're not quite the same, but they're sort of the gist of it. I think the third tone is probably the most difficult, I can't think of any English sound that is in the third tone...Maybe the "low" from "Yellow", but not "low" on its own.
Kaja =)

PostPosted: Mon, 29-Oct-2007 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can already feel my brain going fussy Laughing
Hooby

PostPosted: Tue, 13-Nov-2007 21:32    Post subject: Some... Reply with quote

(post deleted by me)

Last edited by Hooby on Fri, 1-Aug-2008 9:50; edited 2 times in total
Shintaisou

PostPosted: Thu, 15-Nov-2007 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

My native language is Swedish (so I understand Norwegian). I speak English and French pretty much fluently. And taking Russian lessons at school.
PauliinaL93

PostPosted: Fri, 16-Nov-2007 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak finnish, and I think it's very difficult language, becuase all verbs and substantives specially are hard to learn. and words may be any place in a phrase but there have to be different ends of the words. it's very compliated to understand and it's world's third hardest language after chinese and japanese.

then I speak english of course which is taught from kids in finland since the age of 9.

then swedish, taught from the age of 13.

and I also speak german. in finland you can choose 11 yrs old are you going to start to read french, german or something. it depends from the school. now im 14.
Cirilio

PostPosted: Mon, 19-Nov-2007 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak Casamança, spanish and english as my native languages. It's quite weird because Casamança is a portuguese dialect that originated in africa, but with the slave trade it ended up in the america's. My grandmother speaks Casamança and so do a few older people in the dominican republic. I lived w/ my grandmother when i was younger and she mostly speaks casamanca. So with her i would speak casamanca and spanish. In new york (where i'm from) there is a huge spanish population so there is a mixing of a lot of mexican/puerto rican/ and dominican and english words. A lot of my friends from spain say it's difficult tof ollow new york spanish do to the mixed words and pronounciation.

In New york i did my first 10 years of school in standard spanish (castilian). It's normal for a lot of spanish speakers to do their first couple of years in spanish so they atleast know to read and write spanish. You can learn english because it's everywhere as well. But mostly you learn english and spanish at the same time. I just had more spanish than english at first and then my last years were all in english.

I studied french for 3 years but my writing is awful. I studied japanese for 4 year so i can read and write and have conversation. I also speak dutch because i live in the netherlands now, and well, Everyone here speaks dutch i think it's quite funny for so many nationalities to speak such an unknown language. I aso understand papiamentu about 90%, but i just respond in spanish.
Alicena

PostPosted: Tue, 20-Nov-2007 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

My native language is Spanish.
I have studied english for 12 at school, and it`s very basic; just for survive. (the first word that i learned were BAD words xD you know. f*** you, bitc**) Laughing But I have improved it on my own; listening english songs, reading and posting in international forums.
and that`s all.
Youandi

PostPosted: Tue, 3-Mar-2009 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native: Dutch and Achterhooks (some sort of dialect, i'm not speaking it but i can understand it)
Other languages: german, english and some spanish
dsafilipe

PostPosted: Tue, 3-Mar-2009 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native: Portuguese...
2nd: English and Spanish... Mr. Green

Image from "Sarah"... Thx.
coolmadgick

PostPosted: Wed, 4-Mar-2009 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

native : french...Mr. Green
Other languages : english, spanish, german.... Very Happy Very Happy
Darkangel_Bessonova

PostPosted: Mon, 16-Mar-2009 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mi native language is Spanish, though I know English...not very well but at least I understand it Wink I have French classes...and I haven't learned anything at all Embarassed
black_magic

PostPosted: Fri, 27-Mar-2009 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

i speak croatian, that's my mother language, as rotkwica said, slavenian languages all quite similar so we understand each other well, but that doesn't mean i could speak russian, for example, fluently.
my english is extremely good (some people say i speak better english than croatian). and i know a bit of german.
Darkangel_Bessonova

PostPosted: Sat, 28-Mar-2009 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's great! I would love to speak more languages...not only spanish and a strange english Mr. Green
GymGrace

PostPosted: Sun, 29-Mar-2009 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Native - Lithuanian. Other - English, German, a bit of spanish and russian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Off Topic All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: