Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An article about Evgeniya Kanaeva
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups
View previous topic | View next topic  
KapraFan

PostPosted: Wed, 12-Nov-2008 16:17    Post subject: An article about Evgeniya Kanaeva Reply with quote

In case you haven't seen it yet Wink :

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?165064

Evgeniya Kanaeva: “I suddenly felt that I was crying”

She’s still timid on press conferences, prefers evasive wording to fine phrases and sometimes gets confused by the most innocent questions.
Of course, it will pass. And she’ll get used to the public’s attention. Because from now on it will be constantly riveted on her. As she’s only 18 – there is nobody younger among those, who have made their way through the final in Beijing. And it means that these Olympics are for sure not last for her. In four years Zhenya will get a unique chance to become a two-time Olympic champion. By the way, no Russian gymnast has achieved it yet.
What’s the essence of Kanaeva’s phenomenon (she went through the junior team to the Olympic gold during one season)? Everyone who knows her a little bit better answer – it’s the fantastic capacity for work.
- The younger gymnasts are, the harder they work, - supposes Alina Kabaeva. - I remember myself at the age of 15. Nobody thought that that year I’ll become a European champion. Even Viner. But I won! Why? I worked hard: sometimes left the gym at 11 pm. Older girls can afford to get naughty, wreck a training because they are not in mood for it. They think that they are already great and have a right to show weakness. They forget that a little girl works hard nearby. And she always has a mood to train. because has nothing else in life. And soon it turns out that she is prepared a lot better than “old men”. Exactly the same happened with Kanaeva this season: she left behind both Sesina and Kapranova. The main thing is to keep such mood for as long as possible.
Kanaeva herself talks about it like this:
- My attitude towards victories is calm. Of course, it’s pleasant to win. But scarcely have you come down from the podium when you have to start everything all over again. It’s a law for me.
- Zhenya is one of those who succeeds first and foremost by diligence, - says her trainer Vera Shtelbaums, and draws a parallel between Kanaeva and Irina Chaschina – her previous pupil, who came from the same parts as Kanaeva. – Whereas Ira naturally has an excellent jump, Zhenya and I worked on it a lot. To my mind, her program was the most difficult among those which were performed in Beijing. And she makes the elements cleaner than others. And with such easiness, that it seems to a spectator as if it’s in fact easy. She hasn’t even any favorite apparatuses. Chaschina, for example, liked a rope and a hoop, but Zhenya in this sense is completely indiscriminate.
After I heard plenty of such stories, I asked Kanaeva: “Don’t you ever get tired of gymnastics?”
- Of course, I do, - she answered calmly. – But it passes quickly. I like my life. I know that sport, especially such as ours, is not timeless. That’s why I give all of myself to the sport. It’s not allowed to have a rest for more than a week, because you can lose shape and not be able to restore it.
Another feature of her character is an amazing coolness in any situation. She debuted on the European championship in 2007. Though she got to know about it only two days before the departure to the tournament – at the last minute Alina Kabaeva got a trauma. Zhenya arrived and won a ribbon competition. Though, she didn’t help crying on a podium.
- I rarely cry, actually, - she explained later. – But at that time a huge tension affected – everything happened so unexpectedly. That’s why I couldn’t control myself.
Kanaeva had time to have a little cry in Beijing too, although nobody but the trainer saw it.
- I completed the last exercise and suddenly felt that I was crying, - she confessed. – Though, I calmed down quickly.
- Did you cry when you understood that you have won?
- No, when I understood that I have done a good job of it. The scores were not declared by then.
- Usually Zhenya doesn’t show emotions, - says Shtelbaums. – Although the pressure that every sportsman feels on the Olympics began to affect her too. Probably she lost a rope in the qualification because of it. Fortunately, she didn’t make mistakes later on. In order to suppress her nervousness I repeated: “Forget about the Olympics! You’re performing on the championship of the house management. Most importantly is to go on the carpet and show everything that you are able to do.”
Shtelbaums told with a smile that Zhenya was nicknamed Mother Teresa in the sport school in Omsk.
- She is indeed very kind and always tries to help everybody. Earlier there was a cramped changing room in our school, and because there were a lot of children they always mixed up boots and caps. It happened that I looked for Zhenya: “Where’s Kanaeva?” and heard in response: “She helps babies to sort out with boots.” And if I fall ill, I don’t need any doctors. Zhenya immediately rushes to a chemist’s, carries a heap of medicine: “This is, Vera Efremovna, a cough remedy, that is a headache remedy.” I laugh: “Zhenechka, you’re my emergency.”
…On Saturday gymnasts were led to the doping control after the award ceremony and press conference. Kanaeva went out in two hours, when the sport palace was already deserted. She held a bag in one arm, hoops – in another.
- Where’s your medal, Zhenya? – blurted out colleague, who has also been waiting for the Olympic champion.
- In a bag.
- Why did you take it off? – there’s no stopping him.
- I got tested. – Kanaeva flushed, but didn’t suppress a smile. – Why would I sit there with the medal?

Last edited by KapraFan on Thu, 13-Nov-2008 17:00; edited 3 times in total
rgelegance

PostPosted: Wed, 12-Nov-2008 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!!!!

It's a great article. She seems to be such a lovely person!!!
KapraFan

PostPosted: Wed, 12-Nov-2008 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgelegance wrote:
Thank you very much!!!! It's a great article.!!!

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! Very Happy
rgelegance wrote:
She seems to be such a lovely person!!!

Yeah, sweet girl... Rolling Eyes
zhenya0402

PostPosted: Wed, 12-Nov-2008 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, KapraFan!!! Although I have read this article before, but I only understand about 60%-70%, cause I was through the on-line translation system to help me. Thanks for letting me understand the whole content.

I have read many russian articles and interviews about Zhenya after Beijing 2008, even though I can't understand completely. Zhenya is really a very good, lovely, and admirable girl. I hope KapraFan or someone can translate more articles or interviews about Zhenya. Very Happy

Thank you again!!! Love
coolmadgick

PostPosted: Wed, 12-Nov-2008 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgelegance wrote:
Thank you very much!!!!

It's a great article. She seems to be such a lovely person!!!

i agree !!!
sofia

PostPosted: Thu, 13-Nov-2008 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much KapraFan!!!
mani_radiohead

PostPosted: Thu, 13-Nov-2008 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for sharing such a great article!Smile
Zhenya's manners are just too good.

“Zhenechka, you’re my emergency.” It's so fun!
I can't imagine that Zhenya can be so familiar with chemicals! Very Happy
Maraja

PostPosted: Thu, 13-Nov-2008 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this great article.
zhenya0402

PostPosted: Thu, 13-Nov-2008 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

mani_radiohead wrote:
Thank you so much for sharing such a great article!Smile
Zhenya's manners are just too good.

“Zhenechka, you’re my emergency.” It's so fun!
I can't imagine that Zhenya can be so familiar with chemicals! Very Happy

mani_radiohead, if you can read more russian artcles or interviews about Zhenya, you will find out Zhenya indeed has very good character. It's a pity, I only can understand general meanings of those russian articles, and my english is very poor, so I can't translate them.
Carol_Gr

PostPosted: Thu, 13-Nov-2008 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kapra Fan!
very nice article! she seems to be lovely and hardwork Love
purple

PostPosted: Sat, 15-Nov-2008 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, thank you!
KapraFan

PostPosted: Wed, 19-Nov-2008 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one Wink :

http://www.kp.ru/daily/24154/370157/

The Olympic champion Evgeniya Kanaeva: “I just tried to perform with feeling”

The prima from Omsk behaves a lot more modestly than her predecessor - Alina Kabaeva. But, most importantly, Zhenya Kanaeva transforms herself on a carpet, delighting trainers, judges and supporters with excellent performances. And it’s not surprising that a famous gymnast Lyajsan Utyasheva exclaimed during the reportage from Beijing: “Evgeniya is Alina Kabaeva and Irina Chaschina in one!”

“It’s harder to support others than to yourself perform!”
Zhenya, you went to these Olympics as the main favourite…
I tried not to dream about a victory prematurely. First and foremost, I concentrated and got ready to perform the program without mistakes and with feeling. I didn’t think about competitors. As if I was on a carpet alone: nobody existed for me at that moment.
Was it difficult when you made a little mistake in the qualification?
It was unexpected for me, I didn’t even understand what had happened. Most likely, it was, all the same, a momentary lack of attention. But, thankfully, it happened during the preliminary competition. I’m glad that I managed to neatly perform in the final and to win. It’s the most important thing.
You said after the victory in the Olympics that a trainer makes up 99% of a success. Do you still think so?
Sure. Why should I change my mind?
Is it modesty?
I just think so!
Zhenya, we watched a broadcast and are under the impression that you wasn’t worried at all.
I was, just didn’t show it. In fact, it was very hard. I tried not to pay attention to the scores, which I was given by umpires. My trainer Vera Efremovna Shtelbaums was telling me to do everything as usual, that it was a usual competition.
What happened after the victory?
There was a whole heap of phone calls, short messages. I didn’t go to the Russian house in Beijing, because a Russian team of RG was to perform in the group competition the next day. I supported girls, including another one from Omsk – Margarita Alijchuk, on the stands. I was worried about the team a lot, wanted them to win. It was even harder to be on the stands and to support than to myself perform on the carpet.

The best rest is simply to stay at home.
All sportsmen from Omsk sang the Russian national anthem on the podium…
I always execute it after victories and have known the lyrics for a long time.
You’re the Olympic champion now. What next?
I don’t think about future now – I live for the day and don’t know what will happen tomorrow. I don’t make plans, because during the last year so many changes took place in my life! I was a mere team’s reservist in 2007, and everybody thought that Olya Kapranova and Vera Sesina will perform for Russia in these games. But everything turned out otherwise. So, as practice shows, it’s hard to plan something in our kind of sport.
And what happened to Olya Kapranova, who has unexpectedly taken the third place?
Olga doesn’t herself know how it happened. She is very upset and worried about letting down the country and trainers. I think that she has to go forward and shouldn’t be obsessed with it.
Will you manage to have a rest?
Yes, but just a little bit. I will start training again already in September, because a World cup final will be held this year, in Spain, and the club world championship as well. I will probably not manage to go to a holiday resort, and, generally speaking, the best rest for me is simply to stay at home, to spend time with relatives and my nearest and dearest.

“I trained for eight hours a day for the sake of the victory!”
Do you think that you partly had luck with reaching a new level exactly in the Olympic year? Had it happened a year later, and there had been three more years until the Games…
I simply had luck with the trainers.
And what did Irina Viner say to you after the victory?
She congratulated me, because Irina Aleksandrovna was very worried after the mistake in qualification. She was at the judge’s table during the final, but got into the room under stands before the very beginning , disposed me.
Do you really have no favourite apparatuses? For example, to perform with a ribbon or a hoop?
I like every apparatus equally in terms of style, exercises, program. One can say that I’m universal.
Who do you devote your victory to?
First of all, to my relatives and trainers.
The fact that your mom was in Beijing and was watching your performance from the stands helped or disturbed you?
I felt that she was nearby. I was sitting on a chair during the qualification after I had done two exercises, was trying to catch mom’s sight – and found her! She caught my eye too and waved her hand.
Did you communicate with other sportsmen on the Olympics?
I got to know girls who became synchronized swimming champions only on the closing. And there wasn’t any time for communication before it.
Was it difficult to perform on the last Olympics’ day but one, when it was already known that Russia’s team didn’t perform very successfully, and everybody in our country always expects only the gold from rhythmic gymnastics?
We distanced ourselves from it all. We came to Beijing in the 16th of August evening, were in Japan before it and didn’t watch our sportsmen performing in other kinds of sport. Not because it’s not interesting – we just tried not to be distracted from the main goal.
How much did you have to train to become an Olympic champion?
For 7-8 hours a day!

Calling upon relatives to speak
Svetlana Kanaeva, Evgeniya’s mom:
I gradually start to feel like an Olympic champion’s mom! The first emotions after Zhenya’s victory were tears of gladness. I was on the stands with Zhenya’s first trainer – Elena Nikolaevna Arajs. We were holding hands, it was very difficult because of the wild tension. We simply burst into tears after Zhenya had completed the last exercise.
By the way, there was a big supporting group on the rhythmic gymnastics competitions. It helped girls a lot. Zhenya told me later that she received a large emotional charge from our supporters.
I don’t even remember what I said to Zhenya after the victory, because I was in the shock state. I just couldn’t find her in this crowd. But when I broke through, we embraced.
We didn’t expect that we would be met like this. Girls-rhythmic gymnasts got up so early and came to the airport! It was worth giving so many efforts to the sport for the sake of such moments.
I want to say thanks to Zhenya’s grandmother Irina Aleksandrovna as well. She took her to the gymnastics class, helped her with school homework. We understood that sport is serious for Zhenya when she began to spend almost all of the time in the gym and we just couldn’t drag her from there! Though, there were moments when Zhenya wanted to give up rhythmic gymnastics. But it happens to every sportsman because of the physical and moral tiredness. But years later we see that she didn’t work in vain.
We’ll have a rest now – will walk in a native city, communicate, since I usually manage to talk to the daughter only by the phone. Grandmother will certainly cook Zhenya’s favourite dish – a fruit salad, and daughter adores sushi as well!

P.S. If you find mistakes, please, send me a private message. Thnx in advance! Kiss Cheek
zhenya0402

PostPosted: Thu, 20-Nov-2008 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

KapraFan, thank you very much for translating another one!!! Love
KapraFan

PostPosted: Thu, 20-Nov-2008 15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenya0402 wrote:
KapraFan, thank you very much for translating another one!!! Love

I knew you'll like it! Kiss
Belosnegka

PostPosted: Fri, 21-Nov-2008 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

and another one Very Happy
http://news.gorod55.ru/sport/?id=13871

Sorry, I have not time to translate Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: