Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I still become an Olympian at age 19?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic | View next topic  
emex

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Apr-2011 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm it can be but if you want you can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n8I1J8hybQ
rglove22

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Apr-2011 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I don't want to be harsh. But no, you shouldn't expect to go to the olympics if you only start RG at age 19. I know girls who have been doing gymnastics for 10+ years, with so much talent and passion, and they are nowhere near going to the Olympics either.

Maybe you can strive for National Team, if that. I am not trying to crush your dreams but this is unfortunately the way this sport works. It takes years just to learn basic technique, not Olympic level technique. Trust me, I would love to see you prove everybody wrong on this forum and really accomplish this. But I am just being realistic.

Plus, the question is do you want to go to the Olympics or do you want to do rhythmic gymnastics? The odds are highly against you in having both. You must choose. I'm sure there may be other sport you can start at 19, but RG is not one of them.

Kabaeva forever!!
*Kalinka*

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Apr-2011 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with rglove22! Very Happy

LudaFenka wrote:

And I don't think it's hypocritical to encourage someone to go after what they want. Look at Silvia Miteva. She wasn't even on the national team when she was 19. And now, well,if she stays healthy, sure enough, she has a very big chance to be an Olympian. A 99% chance. Smile

Ok, Miteva wasn't in the national team when she was 19, but she started RG when she was a child. Of course Miteva didn't start RG at 19!
And no one of us told OlympianRG not to start RG. We have just said that she won't go to the Olympics. And this is the reality, it doesn't matter if it sounds harsh.
LudaFenka

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Apr-2011 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Kalinka* wrote:
I completely agree with rglove22! Very Happy

LudaFenka wrote:

And I don't think it's hypocritical to encourage someone to go after what they want. Look at Silvia Miteva. She wasn't even on the national team when she was 19. And now, well,if she stays healthy, sure enough, she has a very big chance to be an Olympian. A 99% chance. Smile

Ok, Miteva wasn't in the national team when she was 19, but she started RG when she was a child. Of course Miteva didn't start RG at 19!
And no one of us told OlympianRG not to start RG. We have just said that she won't go to the Olympics. And this is the reality, it doesn't matter if it sounds harsh.

She started as a child and was quickly dismissed as not having enough talent Wink She still doesn't have the flexibility of the other girls, and never will.

I really don't understand what entitles you to say that someone will or will not be an Olympian. I mean, if Caroline Weber will go to the Olympics, I maintain that anyone who can do a split and works really hard with good coaches can do the same Wink
LudaFenka

PostPosted: Thu, 7-Apr-2011 17:17    Post subject: Re: Can I still become an Olympian at age 19? Reply with quote

OlympianRG wrote:
Ok, I know it sounds old to start RG at age 19, but I am really determined and prepared to work hard.

Over the past few years I've become seriously enamored with this sport. I think it's one of the most beautiful sports there is.

Please don't be confused by the 'Oympian' in the title, I know aiming for gold might not be possible, but just getting in the Olympics would already be heaven for me.

I'm a perfectionist at everything that I do. I haven't followed any RG courses yet, as I wanted to focus on school first and my parents wouldn't let me. They said I still 'd have plenty of time after high school.

I can already do all the splits with a slight oversplit on the left. I weigh 49kg and am 1.75 meter, which is the same as Anna Bessonova Very Happy .
I can also do a bridge and get my hands to about 15cm of my feet.

I got a bit scared when I see people retiring at 23 years old Sad . Why do they do that? Can't they still get better at RG? I would never give up.

I'm from Belgium, so I'm looking for the best place to practice and a good coach.

Could you guys please help me. I know it might take years and years to get to my goal, but I'm not a quitter and am prepared to work very hard. I'm already stretching about 5 hours a day.

I think that, provided you have an oversplit and the desire to work, you can accomplish many things. Does Belgium currently have good trainers? If not, are you willing to look at other places in Europe. Belgium has not had a great rhythmic gymnast so maybe you will be the first. Take it one step at a time. Think about represeting Belgium at the Europeans first, or the Worlds. Then you will see how you measure up. Smile
Sasta33

PostPosted: Tue, 12-Apr-2011 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanchara wrote:
Sasata I love this post!!! soooo true!! and so valuable.

Thank you! Smile
alex_abt

PostPosted: Sat, 25-Jun-2011 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask Vera Sessina this question Razz
babypinkversace

PostPosted: Mon, 19-Dec-2011 7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should go for it! The worst thing in the world is sitting back and thinking, "what if I would have tried?". So go for it and see what happens! You never know. Love
iloverhythmic

PostPosted: Mon, 9-Apr-2012 8:13    Post subject: Re: Can I still become an Olympian at age 19? Reply with quote

OlympianRG wrote:
Ok, I know it sounds old to start RG at age 19, but I am really determined and prepared to work hard.

Over the past few years I've become seriously enamored with this sport. I think it's one of the most beautiful sports there is.

Please don't be confused by the 'Oympian' in the title, I know aiming for gold might not be possible, but just getting in the Olympics would already be heaven for me.

I'm a perfectionist at everything that I do. I haven't followed any RG courses yet, as I wanted to focus on school first and my parents wouldn't let me. They said I still 'd have plenty of time after high school.

I can already do all the splits with a slight oversplit on the left. I weigh 49kg and am 1.75 meter, which is the same as Anna Bessonova Very Happy .
I can also do a bridge and get my hands to about 15cm of my feet.

I got a bit scared when I see people retiring at 23 years old Sad . Why do they do that? Can't they still get better at RG? I would never give up.

I'm from Belgium, so I'm looking for the best place to practice and a good coach.

Could you guys please help me. I know it might take years and years to get to my goal, but I'm not a quitter and am prepared to work very hard. I'm already stretching about 5 hours a day.

Sorry, but no. If you want to do rhythmic gymnastics because you love it, and dedicate yourself to it, you may be able to compete in things like state. But in the Olympics, American gymnasts are almost rare. Julie Zetlin is going to the Olympics, but before her, no one from America was going for YEARS. Slavics mostly dominate the sport. Girls from America (and everywhere), train from as early as 3, but don't get to the Olympics! My suggestion, if u wanna learn cool apparatus tricks, gain some flexibility, coordination and balance, you can train and MAYBE go to city/state competitions, but the Olympics, is a no for many, many girls. Sad But don't get discouraged, still train and work hard, you may surprise yourself and do better than you thought!
Juliana

PostPosted: Mon, 9-Apr-2012 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to discourage you but even the Queen of Pirouettes Vera Sessina didn't get to go to the Olympics... Another possible example will be one of the currently active gymnasts Daria Dmitrieva... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

If you were to go to the Olympics, you should at least have Sessina or Dmitrieva's standard, a geographical advantage(as in IH's humorous reply Laughing), and a notorious coach, certainly not limited to Irina Viner, who is able to provide you with a private plane and tons of new leos with lots of exquisitely sparkling swarovski crystals when you go to competitions to get some big damn scores! Also, don't forget to hire a professional DJ who can make you music full of folky vocals, choir effects, whistles, sirens and other sound effects.
elin452

PostPosted: Fri, 27-Apr-2012 3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly a lurker on this forum, as I just enjoy reading more than posting. But this thread made me want to weigh in.

People have made good points about not squashing dreams as there are always the exceptions to the rule that beat the odds.

Dreams are great things to have, they are often the great driving force behind us. However they can also be very dangerous. Of all the girls that actually qualify for the olympics (let alone the small number that actually walks away with a medal) there are tons and tons of girls who trained just as hard who simply didn't make the cut. There's a lot of heartbreak that the public doesn't get to see.

I started RSG very late as well, at 20. I already had a classical ballet background so I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with some of the moves. I started because I love how it looks, I love the creativity, the energy, the flexibility. But finding someone to coach me was hard as most regarded me rather skeptically. Also, RSG in my country is a very neglected sport, so there isn't a lot of money.
In a stroke of luck I stumbled upon a contortion coach who helped me dramatically improve my flexibility (which meant that aside from his long lessons I was stretching 3 hours a day on my own) and through that I became more appealing to coach because I at least could keep up with the flexibility exercises. However, the handling of the apparatus was another thing.

People get wowed by the flexibility RG girls show, but in my opinion it's the handling that takes the cake. It was what made Kabaeva such an accomplished gymnast. You need great coordination, reflexes and basically an eye in the back of your head or at least some psychic ability Wink to perform some of the more difficult tricks. I seriously hated the ball and the clubs in the beginning because I ended up throwing them allover the place. It takes practice, practice, practice. My RG gym thought I was pretty funny attempting this at my age, but they were all very nice and gracious to me, seeing how much I just loved doing it. I never went in to come home one day with a big medal or trophy. That was never my intention. I went in to better myself and do something I loved. And that I did.

I am 24 now. I will never make the olympics. That is fine with me. I am training hard, I am more flexible and coordinated than I ever deemed possible and I have made friends for life in the RG gym. It taught me discipline, it steeled me and it helped me improve other aspects of my life. I even managed to finish up Uni education on the side because I lost all laziness. That is more than I ever hoped for.

Go ahead, start training. But do it for the right reasons. Yes, you may aim for the olympics. Just regard it as an unlikely possibility. Don't get tunnelvision. Have fun. If the idea of going to the olympics one day makes you a better, more disciplined gymnast, sure, keep it in your head. Just protect your heart so it doesn't get shattered in a million pieces when you find out you're not destined to be the one who made it against all odds.

RG is more than being Bessanova's height and having a good bridge and a nice oversplit, just like Ballet is more than just pretty lines and arched feet. You need to be the whole package and even then there are plenty of examples of gals who didn't make it.

Aim for the sky, but keep your feet on the ground
Linnea

PostPosted: Fri, 27-Apr-2012 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

elin452 wrote:

I started RSG very late as well, at 20.

Wow! And I was told I started late! I started at 10.

Btw, when did Sessina and Dmitrieva start?
Steven

PostPosted: Fri, 27-Apr-2012 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

elin452 wrote:
I'm mostly a lurker on this forum, as I just enjoy reading more than posting. But this thread made me want to weigh in.

People have made good points about not squashing dreams as there are always the exceptions to the rule that beat the odds.

Dreams are great things to have, they are often the great driving force behind us. However they can also be very dangerous. Of all the girls that actually qualify for the olympics (let alone the small number that actually walks away with a medal) there are tons and tons of girls who trained just as hard who simply didn't make the cut. There's a lot of heartbreak that the public doesn't get to see.

I started RSG very late as well, at 20. I already had a classical ballet background so I wasn't entirely unfamiliar with some of the moves. I started because I love how it looks, I love the creativity, the energy, the flexibility. But finding someone to coach me was hard as most regarded me rather skeptically. Also, RSG in my country is a very neglected sport, so there isn't a lot of money.
In a stroke of luck I stumbled upon a contortion coach who helped me dramatically improve my flexibility (which meant that aside from his long lessons I was stretching 3 hours a day on my own) and through that I became more appealing to coach because I at least could keep up with the flexibility exercises. However, the handling of the apparatus was another thing.

People get wowed by the flexibility RG girls show, but in my opinion it's the handling that takes the cake. It was what made Kabaeva such an accomplished gymnast. You need great coordination, reflexes and basically an eye in the back of your head or at least some psychic ability Wink to perform some of the more difficult tricks. I seriously hated the ball and the clubs in the beginning because I ended up throwing them allover the place. It takes practice, practice, practice. My RG gym thought I was pretty funny attempting this at my age, but they were all very nice and gracious to me, seeing how much I just loved doing it. I never went in to come home one day with a big medal or trophy. That was never my intention. I went in to better myself and do something I loved. And that I did.

I am 24 now. I will never make the olympics. That is fine with me. I am training hard, I am more flexible and coordinated than I ever deemed possible and I have made friends for life in the RG gym. It taught me discipline, it steeled me and it helped me improve other aspects of my life. I even managed to finish up Uni education on the side because I lost all laziness. That is more than I ever hoped for.

Go ahead, start training. But do it for the right reasons. Yes, you may aim for the olympics. Just regard it as an unlikely possibility. Don't get tunnelvision. Have fun. If the idea of going to the olympics one day makes you a better, more disciplined gymnast, sure, keep it in your head. Just protect your heart so it doesn't get shattered in a million pieces when you find out you're not destined to be the one who made it against all odds.

RG is more than being Bessanova's height and having a good bridge and a nice oversplit, just like Ballet is more than just pretty lines and arched feet. You need to be the whole package and even then there are plenty of examples of gals who didn't make it.

Wonderfully written. My daughter was an Olympian. But she never planned on being an Olympian. She started RG at a relatively young age, 8, and just did her best until her path took her to the Olympics. Yes, she trained hard. Very hard. But she trained hard because she loved RG, not because of an Olympic dream. She didn't win a medal, but the journey, not the destination, was worth the effort .
Linnea

PostPosted: Fri, 27-Apr-2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven wrote:
elin452 wrote:

Wonderfully written. My daughter was an Olympian. But she never planned on being an Olympian. She started RG at a relatively young age, 8, and just did her best until her path took her to the Olympics. Yes, she trained hard. Very hard. But she trained hard because she loved RG, not because of an Olympic dream. She didn't win a medal, but the journey, not the destination, was worth the effort .

Who's the daughter??? WOW! Shocked
Juliana

PostPosted: Sat, 5-May-2012 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linnea wrote:
Steven wrote:
elin452 wrote:

Who's the daughter??? WOW! Shocked

I don't think you'll get an answer from him Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » The Gym All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: