Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2015 Worlds in Stuttgart, Germany
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results
View previous topic | View next topic  
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Sep-2015 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSleepingAwakex wrote:
maksymehappy wrote:

(...)
But the sport has a serious problem if it really attracted only the 900 viewers worldwide that the FIG stream stated.
I could perform with a Collie dog and get 10,000,000 on Britain's Got Talent. Presumably 10,000,900 for Rhythmic Dognastics.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mr. Green

To me, 900 seems to be unrealistically on the low side, even if the big RG countries aired the final on TV. Was it live analytics?

Also, which countries were geo-blocked?
Hoops and Grand Fouettes

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Sep-2015 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA Gym had their own livestream and at one point I saw about 1500 people viewing the stream before 9 AM in the US.
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Sep-2015 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
xSleepingAwakex wrote:
maksymehappy wrote:

(...)
But the sport has a serious problem if it really attracted only the 900 viewers worldwide that the FIG stream stated.
I could perform with a Collie dog and get 10,000,000 on Britain's Got Talent. Presumably 10,000,900 for Rhythmic Dognastics.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mr. Green

To me, 900 seems to be unrealistically on the low side, even if the big RG countries aired the final on TV. Was it live analytics?

Also, which countries were geo-blocked?

I was hoping you would tell me that!
I saw a USA video of some finals, so I am assuming that when US residents claimed they were geoblocked, the cause was some network in the US buying the local rights.
I am always curious at the live viewing counts, since many events have nobody attending that is not something to do with the competitors. I think the most I saw on Marc's streams was 3,000. Art's Kazan WC which was not geoblocked for me showed 1500. Marc's Bulgaria WC - geoblocked - 150. Maybe 300 for GBR championships. These are all small numbers. If you had asked me to take a guess at the Worlds' viewers beforehand I would have said 3000-10000.
The stream on the Worlds website never worked for me and it was only from other people that I learned FIG themselves were providing a stream.
ririx

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Sep-2015 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the countries were the FIG livestream was not available, according to the FIG itself : Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria Canada, China, South Korea, Djibouti, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, USA, France, Iraq, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Luxembourg, Morocco, Mauritania, Monaco, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Chad, Tunisia and Yemen. It is quite a lot...
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Sep-2015 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, ririx!

I knew I saw the list once during the WCh.

That means those countries had rights for live broadcasting. I'd guess there's a good fanbase in Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, China, South Korea, USA, France, Japan, Russia surely out of these countries.

I'll try to ask for approximate numbers, it'd be interesting to know. I'm sure about 20-30 friends of mine were watching and that's a tiny part of the local RG community, so the 900 looks way too low. My guess would be quite similar to maksymehappy's, from 3500 to low 10000s.
xSleepingAwakex

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Sep-2015 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

ririx wrote:
Here are the countries were the FIG livestream was not available, according to the FIG itself : Algeria, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Bulgaria Canada, China, South Korea, Djibouti, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, USA, France, Iraq, Iran, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Luxembourg, Morocco, Mauritania, Monaco, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Chad, Tunisia and Yemen. It is quite a lot...

Wow, well done FIG! Blocked the livestream in so many countries, including the one in which RG is really popular. Stupid
Gergely

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Sep-2015 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSleepingAwakex wrote:
ririx wrote:

Wow, well done FIG! Blocked the livestream in so many countries, including the one in which RG is really popular. Stupid

This is not charity, this is TV.

A TV channel in said countries bought the right for live transmission of the event. They paid a sum, which should be several thousand hundred euros at least, but it's probably in the millions if it was a long-term package deal.

They don't want the rightholder (FIG) to air a free stream in their country, because then they paid a fortune for nothing. That's just how it works. This is not FIG. This is a contract between FIG and the TV companies, which wish to air gymnastics. This is a lot of money, which can make or break an event, or can float a national federation.

You don't get football Champions' League for free streaming. Or NBA. Or NFL. Or football World Cup. Or acquatics Worlds. Or even an Olympics. Or basically any kind of sports event. This finances sports all over the world. If your country have no TV buying the rights, yes, there is a stream provided. For others, there's the TV.

In this case in Russia two TV channels aired about 20 hrs live and highlights of the Worlds, if I see it well. Thus, no stream allowed to that country.
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Sep-2015 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone knows a link to a TV channel stream that is still online, please post it here or in the videos section. I was impressed by the commentary on the Spanish channel for instance, which was expert.
I notice the gulf/arab states are unusually highly represented in the geoblock... a matter of 'culture' more than (TV) rights? I did not know they were hotbeds of RG. Just hot in general.
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Sep-2015 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
Quote:
The dominance of Russia in RSG (especially individual) is killing RSG Sad
And yes, it is getting boring. The 1st and 2nd places in individual were never in doubt.

I always say that this is not the Russians' problem. Of course more competition would be nice and in general, better for the sport, too. But they are far ahead, with far better opportunities.

Stuttgart was still swarming with gymnasts, this morning I saw the Belarussians running over a helpless ice-cream saloon Mr. Green

they do have much better opportunities but how are they far ahead? Confused Russians are not in a cloud flying alone as results makes us want to believe. I don't think they have ever been actually, there have always been other gymnasts right there on the same level of Russia's finest, and even better most of the times.

Russians are ahead infuentally-wise, yes.

maksymehappy wrote:
If someone knows a link to a TV channel stream that is still online, please post it here or in the videos section. I was impressed by the commentary on the Spanish channel for instance, which was expert.
I notice the gulf/arab states are unusually highly represented in the geoblock... a matter of 'culture' more than (TV) rights? I did not know they were hotbeds of RG. Just hot in general.

here:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/gimnasia/

if you change your location to Spain and you should be able to watch the whole thing.

The spanish commentary is indeed expert, I love it. one of the commentators is Almudena Cid. Very Happy Kiss Cheek
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Wed, 16-Sep-2015 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:

- Ukraine OK, it's a financial struggle, it's a struggle on many levels, politically, diplomatically, emotionally, anyway. But Rizatdinova is sheltering UKR RG now, I feel (even with her being out of the medals in AA). The group has great potential, but is hit-and-miss, Mazur still doesn't have the head for the big competitions, and pulling out Romanova backfired, plus it didn't put the team in the best light, I believe. For the first time they missed a double Olympic spot in individual, and they nearly missed the direct flight to Rio with group. I feel they're in a tough situation, and I'd welcome fresh winds - we'll see, I hope they'll be back. And by the way: if the plan is to build Romanova up to be Rizatdinova's successor, this AA final pullout didn't help a lot. In individual AA a 5th, a 22th and a 25nd place must be one of their worst ever.

That's just sad. I kinda feel Mazur will never have the head for big competitions. Watched the AA again, this time all relaxed knowing my girls made it to Rio :hearts: My heart really felt for Mazur and Mateva, Vika's mistake in clubs was just Neutral . Its a real shame because Mazur is an incredible gymnast, and has by far the best jumps out there, mindblowing.

and I feel Mateva was just unlucky and couldnt deal with the preassure, it sucks we´re not going to see such gymnasts like these 2 at the Olympics

and Rivkin blew me away, she had a great competition, all my respect and admiration for her for competing like that. I take my hat off and do a reverence, she deserves it.
Gergely

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Sep-2015 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

maksymehappy wrote:

As far as I know, beIN Sports has the gymnastics rights for most (all?) North Africa and Middle East, hence those countries.
yussupovafan

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Sep-2015 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tchachinafan wrote:
Gergely wrote:
Quote:
And yes, it is getting boring. The 1st and 2nd places in individual were never in doubt.

I always say that this is not the Russians' problem. Of course more competition would be nice and in general, better for the sport, too. But they are far ahead, with far better opportunities.

Stuttgart was still swarming with gymnasts, this morning I saw the Belarussians running over a helpless ice-cream saloon Mr. Green

they do have much better opportunities but how are they far ahead? Confused Russians are not in a cloud flying alone as results makes us want to believe. I don't think they have ever been actually, there have always been other gymnasts right there on the same level of Russia's finest, and even better most of the times.

:

I agree, I think if RG is fairly judged then we will have more than 15 medal contenders, not just 3 contenders for bronze like right now.
Gergely

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Sep-2015 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they're not flying alone.

But still, the gap is widening I think and will continue to do so, unless a super-gymnast comes along. Huge talent pool. To big funding advantage. Facilities. Coaching. Everything. They all add up. And the diplomatical power on top of it.

Tchachinafan wrote:
Gergely wrote:
Quote:

maksymehappy wrote:

here:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/gimnasia/

if you change your location to Spain and you should be able to watch the whole thing.

The spanish commentary is indeed expert, I love it. one of the commentators is Almudena Cid. Very Happy Kiss Cheek

Gergely

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Sep-2015 7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unfortunately it really looked like so. We've discussed the same thing after Izmir with Mazur, I don't know if there was any effort to fix it. She's a delightful gymnast, until it comes to actual competitions, especially AAs.

And also, yes, Rivkin really raised to the occasion, very well done. I still feel sorry for Veinberg Filanovsky though Sad

Tchachinafan wrote:
Gergely wrote:

- Ukraine OK, it's a financial struggle, it's a struggle on many levels, politically, diplomatically, emotionally, anyway. But Rizatdinova is sheltering UKR RG now, I feel (even with her being out of the medals in AA). The group has great potential, but is hit-and-miss, Mazur still doesn't have the head for the big competitions, and pulling out Romanova backfired, plus it didn't put the team in the best light, I believe. For the first time they missed a double Olympic spot in individual, and they nearly missed the direct flight to Rio with group. I feel they're in a tough situation, and I'd welcome fresh winds - we'll see, I hope they'll be back. And by the way: if the plan is to build Romanova up to be Rizatdinova's successor, this AA final pullout didn't help a lot. In individual AA a 5th, a 22th and a 25nd place must be one of their worst ever.

That's just sad. I kinda feel Mazur will never have the head for big competitions. Watched the AA again, this time all relaxed knowing my girls made it to Rio :hearts: My heart really felt for Mazur and Mateva, Vika's mistake in clubs was just Neutral . Its a real shame because Mazur is an incredible gymnast, and has by far the best jumps out there, mindblowing.

and I feel Mateva was just unlucky and couldnt deal with the preassure, it sucks we´re not going to see such gymnasts like these 2 at the Olympics

and Rivkin blew me away, she had a great competition, all my respect and admiration for her for competing like that. I take my hat off and do a reverence, she deserves it.

maksymehappy

PostPosted: Thu, 17-Sep-2015 10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Deriugina school training favours body element over handling practice too much. After all, we've all marvelled over (G)anna and Vika's body element form. It can't be a coincidence that the two people with the quality of those body elements are from the same team. The criticism is usually the handling isn't up to the level of RUS for the former, and the latter tends to bungle it somewhere in competition. Under pressure it tends to be the things least learnt that do not go according to plan.
Maybe the Deriugina school just needs an injection of new methods and new ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: