Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Son Yeonjae
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups
View previous topic | View next topic  
latvy6

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Jan-2012 5:30    Post subject: Son Yeonjae Reply with quote

I couldn't find a topic about her with the search function so I hope I'm not creating an unnecessary post.

So I've been in Korea for...a little less than a month now and I can say that Son Yeonjae is in a LOT of advertisements...but no one seems to know what she actually DOES except for people who are actually fans of Rhythmic Gymnastics...which aren't very many I might add. I was talking to my advising teacher at work and he's about my age so we had a casual conversation and he basically said that she was very cute and pretty but that he didn't know what sport she trained in. I've talked to others, they don't know either.

Rolling Eyes I'm not saying she isn't talented, she definitely is and has made HUGE improvements. I like her gymnastics. But her contract with IB Sports has definitely boosted her reputation.
gryro

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Jan-2012 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that more Koreans than Americans know what rg is...heck, to be honest, I didn't know what it was when I signed my daughter up for it. I couldn't figure out why they just stretched all the time. Wink I thought it was dancing!

But here many people know what it is, they know Shin Soo-ji, Son Yeon-jae, and a bit about the sport. Just random people- the lady at our favorite bibimbap restaurant, the gate guard for where we live, etc. And they show it on TV, that is huge compared to the US- it is only on for the Olympics there. But in Korea, they broadcast Nationals and the big Kimpo meet on TV. One benefit to being the lone foreigners in the crowd- we always get on TV! Embarassed

My daughter loves to see her ads, well except for the feminine hygeine one, that is. I think its great she got the contract/represention. IMO, she is much more talented than those cheesy plastic-surgeried models they usually put on TV, and I would much rather see a talented athlete than some famous for just being famous.
latvy6

PostPosted: Sat, 7-Jan-2012 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Just random people" <-- you're right. The wife of the principal of the school I'm working at LOOOOVES rhythmic gymnastics. I was surprised, I just met her at a dinner party! ^^; She commented on my height and how my figure would be good for ballet and I told her that I did do ballet and that before I put all my focus in ballet I also did rhythmic gymnastics. We did a lot of talking that night...I think her husband was annoyed but I guess it's good for me that the principal's wife likes me!

Just when I thought people didn't know, they start turning up? XD I am finding though that people around MY age aren't really too aware of who she is though. The only 3 who did were older than me by at least 10 years? I don't know, I have only been here for a month though so I guess I haven't been around too long to really make a judgement on it.

I agree that it's a lot better for a person with actual talent to get media attention in Korea, but I'm worried about the direction it might take her in. It's happened before where the media attention is just so overwhelming that the person has to leave Korea all together.
espressolovah

PostPosted: Fri, 13-Jan-2012 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow glad to hear someone's in Korea Bounce

I suggest that if you're comfortable with the Korean language, search Son on the web and you'll find some interesting facts about her.

Here's some things I learned.

After 2010AG, Son interviewed she was underscored and deserved better than bronze. Son lied as if she never participated in the 2010 MoscowGP and when got caught, she showed the starting list and claimed she placed 9th... Sad Of course majority of Koreans didn't know what was going on. Some RG fans refuted that was not true, IB threatened them with defamation charges. Soon after Son's coach claimed it was all mistake and with 2-gymnast-per-country rule applied, she'd have placed higher in the rank anyway. Son appeared on television shows and promoted as 'the best rhythmic gymnast who never missed the 1st place', and 'the best in Asia'', 'Korea's best record'. She totally ignored Sooji Shin, Trofimova, and all the other central asian gymnasts!! (for this I got really mad Evil or Very Mad ) Now she says she's close to OG medals. These are just a few stories I know. None of my co-workers like her, and I share this sentiment.. I have some Korean friends who has been some serious RG fan for a while, and none of them ever mention Son.

but hey.. if this post offends Son's fans or considered inappropriate, I'll be more than happy to delete it. Send me a msg or let me know!! Smile
latvy6

PostPosted: Fri, 13-Jan-2012 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely shouldn't delete your comment simply because someone doesn't like your opinion, it's your opinion and you expressed it here for a reason!
Iceprincess#1

PostPosted: Sun, 15-Jan-2012 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a gala she did to Lady Gaga's Born this Way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0lwToL7Fs

Here is the "Hoot" dance she did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcKGwFcHgm0
Jesse Runnels

PostPosted: Mon, 23-Jan-2012 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

espressolovah wrote:
wow glad to hear someone's in Korea Bounce

I suggest that if you're comfortable with the Korean language, search Son on the web and you'll find some interesting facts about her.

Here's some things I learned.

After 2010AG, Son interviewed she was underscored and deserved better than bronze. Son lied as if she never participated in the 2010 MoscowGP and when got caught, she showed the starting list and claimed she placed 9th... Sad Of course majority of Koreans didn't know what was going on. Some RG fans refuted that was not true, IB threatened them with defamation charges. Soon after Son's coach claimed it was all mistake and with 2-gymnast-per-country rule applied, she'd have placed higher in the rank anyway. Son appeared on television shows and promoted as 'the best rhythmic gymnast who never missed the 1st place', and 'the best in Asia'', 'Korea's best record'. She totally ignored Sooji Shin, Trofimova, and all the other central asian gymnasts!! (for this I got really mad Evil or Very Mad ) Now she says she's close to OG medals. These are just a few stories I know. None of my co-workers like her, and I share this sentiment.. I have some Korean friends who has been some serious RG fan for a while, and none of them ever mention Son.

but hey.. if this post offends Son's fans or considered inappropriate, I'll be more than happy to delete it. Send me a msg or let me know!! Smile

I agree with you, and even WORSE they see her as the one who gave South Korea the knowledge about RG and that was Shin Soo Ji...
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Wed, 11-Jul-2012 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has improved a lot in the last year or two, from around 32nd in the world to around 12th ranked, with a few medals in world cup events. Does anyone know who her regular coach is? I heard she trained with Viner for two years in Russia. So who choreogrphed her routines? Her hoop routine is great IMO.
NeUTRoN_Hr

PostPosted: Wed, 11-Jul-2012 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her trainer is that russian ginger hair lady that formely coached Anna Gurbanova....I just can´t remember her name Blub
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed, 11-Jul-2012 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeUTRoN_Hr wrote:
Her trainer is that russian ginger hair lady that formely coached Anna Gurbanova....I just can´t remember her name Blub

I think her surname is Sergeeva Smile
butterflyRG

PostPosted: Thu, 12-Jul-2012 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled Anna Gurbanova, is this the same Anna you were talking about?

Country Azerbaijan
Date of birth 24 Nov 1986 (25 years 7 months)
Height 165 cm
Weight 49 kg
Club Neztchi, Azerbaijan
Coach Nadezhda Holodkova
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Jan-2013 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son might have eponymous elements in her routines this year: http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/01/09/2013010900926.html

"These incorporated a number of new moves, including one in which Son tosses a club and catches it on the floor with her foot after turning around backwards, and another in which she bounces a ball and catches it in the small of her back while bending backwards.

National team coach Kim Ji-hee said Korea plans to apply to the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) to register the two techniques as Son's original moves.

If Son successfully performs them at the world championships in August and has them recognized as original moves, they will be listed and named after the athlete. This would take her into uncharted territory for a Korean athlete and increase the likelihood of her earning bonus points at international competitions."

New musics: "Son has changed all four of her programs -- hoop, ball, club and ribbon -- for the new season. She will use Puccini's opera "Turandot" for hoop, "Georgina on My Mind" for ball, Patrizio Buanne's "Bella Bella Signorina" for club, and Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" for ribbon. "

She's delayed in return to Russia due to toe injury and rehabilitation.
ed13

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Jan-2013 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

swan lake ... how original Rolling Eyes
Anna Kull

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Jan-2013 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to know who will be the KOR new coach! It's a hugh thing to make a press training or something similar because you have originalities planned imo - imagine if every one would do this...
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue, 15-Jan-2013 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Aly-GaxrHyc&feature=fvwp Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: