Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olympic 2016 Rio - rules and qualifications
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results
View previous topic | View next topic  
delwi

PostPosted: Thu, 9-May-2013 7:57    Post subject: Olympic 2016 Rio - rules and qualifications Reply with quote

Can any one tell me the qualifications for entering Olympic Rio 2016 for groups? How many world championships they must attend and enter to be qualified for the Rio?
Tom T
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Fri, 10-May-2013 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

To delwi,

Okay, it's wayyy early and I am not the most exacting or detailed person to answer you. But generally the process goes something like this...with help from 2011-2012 notes from Marie and Gergely made during the London selection process...

For most of the individuals (top 15 gymnasts) and groups (top 6), the qualifying for 2016 Rio Olympics will take place at 2015 World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany (date, circa Sept 2015)

If 2016 Olympic qualifying goes like 2012 London qualifying did...you can expect there will be a final selection for the remaining Olympic slots to be held at a "Test Event" in Rio de Janeiro, likely to be held January 2016. Final wild card and continental selections follow after that. Here are some random notes adapted from Marie (ind) and Gergely (grps) notes detailing the final selections...

Individuals
* 15 gymnasts from WC AA (at Stuttgart 2015)
* 5 gymnasts from 2nd qualification (Test Event Rio in January 2016)
* 1 gymnast from host country
* 3 gymnasts from the various continents
* 1 gymnast from the tripartite commission (believe this slot skipped at London)
= 25 gymnasts, and there are 24 places.

Groups
-Top 6 groups at the general competition at Stuttgart 2015 go to Rio directly.
-From 7th-12th places, they go to the Rio pre-Olympic qualification event (Jan 2016). Expect will be 4 spots up for grabs (4 out of 6, not a bad chance)
-That's 10 groups so far, +1 for Brazil and +1 for a continental presence spot.

Ps. I will move this topic in a day or so to the "Events and Results" sub-forum.
Please correct me above as needed. Hope this helps, Tom
Justin

PostPosted: Fri, 10-May-2013 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Tom. Best 15 from Individual All Around at the 2015 Worlds, to be followed with the next 5 from the Test Event.

As for the wildcards you mentioned 5 wild cards: 1 host, 3 continental and 1 tripartite. Yet. the wildcards can overlap, if for instance no one from the American continent directly qualifies, and if Brazil gets awarded the wildcard. Or yes, the tripartite was skipped for London.

However, the most trickiest part is to determine who gets to qualify for the Olympic Test event in the first place, and I remember there were a lot of debates regarding this aspect, too. But to do so, we have to start backtracking.

From what I remember, the medallists from the WC 2015 AA are able to participate, but since they will already have earned their ticket to Rio, they are out of the question. Only countries who have qualified one or zero gymnast at the 2015 WC are eligible to participate in the Test Event. The top 5, leaving out the medal victors/those who qualified already, will earn the remaining Olympic Tickets.

If RUS, BLR and UKR (just to name some countries) have each two gymnasts qualified in the top 15 at the WC AA 2015, they cannot participate, with exception of the medallists. At the same time, they cannot earn their tickets twice. Countries within this same top 15 with only one gymnast qualified, are eligible to send one gymnast to earn a second ticket.

Remember, the first fifteen gymnasts of the WCh earn tickets on behalf of their country. The gymnasts qualified at the Test Event are strictly nominative.

I'm not sure how many gymnasts in total are eligible to complete at the Test Event, but it must be around 24 in number, so roughly number 16-36, leaving out countries who have fully qualified already.

To look back on the 2011-2012 trajectory for individuals:

1. RUS 1
2. RUS 2
3. AZE
4. BLR 1
5. UKR
6. BLR 2
7. BUL
8. POL
9. UZB
10. ISR
11. KOR
12. FRA
13. CHN
14. ITA
15. AUT

Countries AZE, UKR, BUL, POL, UZB, ISR, KOR, FRA, CHN, ITA and AUT were allowed to participate with another gymnast in the Test Event for a second spot, and further to be filled with gymnasts qualified 16-24 for AA and gymnasts not making it to the Worlds' AA Final, to be filled until we have 24+1 (host) competitors. This is why for example Kseniya Moustafaeva was allowed to compete at the Test Event, despite not being able to participate in the 2011 World Champions.

To sum things up, I tried to create a flow chart in doing so, please correct me if I'm wrong:

--------

As for groups, the same pattern is followed, with the top 6 groups from the WC AA qualifying directly, and #7-#12 will have to fight for the remaining four spots at the Test Event. Last year the #13 (Azerbaijan) was allowed to compete all of sudden too, so this is one deviation you can call already. Only the group world champion is allowed to compete in this Test Event, but of course, they cannot earn a double ticket (and Italy didn't compete - with host GBR competing for the additional requirement for the BOA this added up to a total of 8 competing groups).

To make things further complicated, there is a maximum limit of 24 groups to compete in the 2015 world championships in the first place. This means that only the best 24 groups of the 2014 world championships (Izmir?), are allowed to participate. As a result, the path to be followed by groups already commences in 2014. If a group within the top 24 cannot compete in 2015, spots will be further filled until they reach the top 24. To illustrate: PRK ranked within the top 24 in 2010, but didn't compete in 2011. Their spot was to be filled by GEO, but GEO apparently couldn't -- which is why BRA ultimately filled their spot again.

To be eligible for a group wildcard, a group must have competed in at least these 2014 world championships. To illustrate: GBR was allowed to compete in London, because they participated at the 2010 world champions. Despite they didn't make the cut-off for the 2011 WCh (finishing 29th and last), they met the single requirement from the FIG/IOC to participate (aside from the additional mumbo-jumbo from the BOA).

Usually the first group wildcard is awarded for continental representation, and the second for host country. In 2004 this coincided with the top 10 of 2003 already. Greece (host) had already qualified in 2003 via the conventional ways. And Brazil - the first country for continental representation - was just ranked 9th. As a result, the final two wild cards were awarded to the two groups just outside the top 8 back then (which were as already mentioned Brazil, plus Poland)

To evaluate, this qualification system is ever so confusing in comparison to what it used to be in the past, but even-so, each system has its pros and its cons. Whereas in the past qualification was solely based on the final Worlds before the Olympics, it is now spread over two events. In the event you, or your group, messes things up at the World, you are granted a second attempt at least. Also, the Individual Team Final results do not longer matter (the top 5 teams were eligible to send two gymnasts, the rest not in this top 5, each 1 per country), and as such, each country should have equal chances to qualify two gymnasts (for example, as a team finishing 6th, but have gymnasts finishing as #14 and #15).

The group of Spain for instance ultimately benefited from this new system, qualifying as 12th in Montpellier. Surely they would be devastated if the old rules were to be followed (read: not going to the Olympics), but eventually, they qualified in the Test Event - and ranked even 4th in the Group Final. On the other hand, France and Switzerland couldn't hold their grip on their 7th and 8th ranking, losing their tickets at the Test Event.

Summary: Also here, I've tried to create a flow chart:

Note: The tripartite commission issues wild cards to nations which are hardly represented at the Olympics in general. This is usually for smaller nations with a very small delegation over all sports together. Again, this nominative wild card requires that the competitor should meet all participation requirements (such as attendance of the World Championships) - Think of any Island Countries in the Pacific or the Caribbean for instance. In terms of Rhythmic Gymnastics, think of countries such as Cape Verde and Guatemala.

My guess was for the 2004 and 2008 Olympics, the American continent was already qualified by standard procedures, and as such the American wildcard was not needed, and the Tripartite Wildcard was issued instead.

For Brazil, it is important the Brazilian group at least competes at the 2014 World Championships, but I think that won't be a big problem to overcome that hurdle Smile. And of course it also depends on possible additional requirements by the local Olympic Association. This might be the reason why the Australian group never participated in their 2000 Sydney Olympics, despite the fact they competed at both the 1998 and 1999 World Championships.

But who knows, for all we know, the FIG and IOC might implement new rules...
Artistry Fan

PostPosted: Fri, 10-May-2013 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome job Tom and Justin. I'm not sure if you have the answer for this.. but let's do a theoretical scenario: What if a gymnast during the Trials process (which you said is strictly nominative) gets injured before the Olympics? Would that country be able to send another gymnast... OR would it go to the next gymnast who was just out of margin in Trials?
Justin

PostPosted: Fri, 10-May-2013 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess - but not entirely sure - it depends on the how the gymnast-to-be-replaced qualified.

If the gymnast was qualified by NOC (i.e. WCh top 15 gymnast), then this gymnast may be replayed by her compatriot.

If the gymnast was qualified by Test Event, or by Wild Card then the reserve gymnast may be allowed to participate. Although I think in the event a Wild Card gymnast gets injured, they probably seek the next one in line for the wild card requirements (e.g. the second-best continental gymnast)

Remember the Merkulova > Dmitrieva debate. Imagine if Merkulova would compete, but injured herself pretty badly just 24 hours before the competition start, then Dmitrieva, as her compatriot, may take the stage instead (and actually, this did happen, albeit in a longer time frame).

Trofimova qualified as 9th for London, and despite her foot injury, she kept on going (I must admit, I would do the same, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity anyway!). Imagine if she didn't, then her team mate (probably Djamila Rakhmatova) would be allowed to participate.

On the other hand, imagine if Anna Alyabyeva would have to be replaced: Alyabyeva qualified via the test Event, which strictly says qualification is nominative. In this case, the first reserve, which was Alexandra Piscupescu, would have come into action.

Oh and to further complicate things. Imagine if a country earned two spots: one by NOC via the top 15 ranking at the Worlds', and one via the Test Event, it really much depends on the gymnast again. This was the case for Ukraine. Maksymenko earned a spot for Ukraine, and Rizatdinova for solely herself. If Maksymenko would get injured, anyone from Ukraine BUT Rizatdinova could fill her place. If Rizatdinova would get injured, the first reserve could fill her place. So, it would be either Mazur + Rizatdinova, but not Maksymenko + Mazur, for instance.

But again, that is my guess!

And now I'm most curious what will happen if the top 20 Olympic qualifiers includes the host country, AND all continental representations. Theoretically, what if it is being held in, let's say, Moscow, and imagine an American, African and Oceanic gymnast all qualified by normal means. Boy, that'll simplify the wild cards Cool.
delwi

PostPosted: Mon, 13-May-2013 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for these great info . I have a question concerning WORLD CH SHIP 2013 . Is it a must step to attend for groups ?i mean is it one of the rules for Rio to attend 2013 championship just attending not qualifying . So that the second step to go WCS 2014 . So if a country didn't attend 2013 won't be able to go to 2014 and as well RIO?
Cameron Pegg

PostPosted: Mon, 13-May-2013 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin - you are awesome.

Smile
psrgomes08

PostPosted: Mon, 13-May-2013 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thank you all. You really explained everything really well Shocked

Love
Gergely

PostPosted: Tue, 14-May-2013 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation, however, let's just wait for FIG to announce the system - they have the habit of altering it each four years and they have been talking about it, so I'm pretty sure the qualification will be a bit different.

But yes, last time worked exactly how Tom and Justin explained it.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed, 15-May-2013 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
Great explanation, however, let's just wait for FIG to announce the system - they have the habit of altering it each four years and they have been talking about it, so I'm pretty sure the qualification will be a bit different.

But yes, last time worked exactly how Tom and Justin explained it.

Yes, apparently there will be a different system for Rio =S
Vana

PostPosted: Tue, 9-Jun-2015 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a topic about Rio 2016 tickets? I couldn't find it and I am really excited to share some news with you! I got tickets!
M.Brzeska-Fan

PostPosted: Tue, 8-Sep-2015 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a nice video where the Quali for Rio 2016 is explained Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxKEtfvoM0

https://twitter.com/officialFIG/status/641008857259606017
Hoops and Grand Fouettes

PostPosted: Fri, 1-Jan-2016 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question that's been nagging at me for a few days. Since 3 continents qualified individual gymnasts within the Top 15, 2 continental wild cards will most likely be used for Africa and Oceania. That leaves an extra wild card spot. Does anyone know where this will be allocated? Will an extra gymnast from the test event qualify? Or will it be used to allow another gymnast from an "underrepresented" continent (e.g. Africa, Oceania, possibly the Americas) to qualify to Rio or be used as another Tripartite wild card?
Justin

PostPosted: Tue, 5-Jan-2016 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hoops,

Page 5 on the Olympic Qualification Procedure:

Quote:
Any unused Continental places will be allocated to the best ranked individual gymnasts as per the Individual ranking results of the Qualification Competition (CI / All-Around results) of the 2016 Olympic Games Test Event.

Also (on page 7):
Quote:
If the Tripartite Commission is not able to allocate a Tripartite Commission Invitation Place, the athlete from the next best ranked eligible NOC as per the Individual ranking results of the Qualification Competition (CI / All-Around results) of the 2016 Olympic Games Test Event will obtain the quota place.

(The Deadline for Tripartite applications has been set to January 15th though!)

So yes, the remaining continental wildcard (and unused tripartite wildcard) will be re-allocated to the Test Event. So this means there are seven (instead of six) gymnasts vying for Olympic participation. However, this is a bit fishy, since it refers to the best ranking in the Qualification phase of the Test Event at all times. So yeah, should you qualify in seventh, then I bet you'll be in a bad mood competing in the all around final...

To recap the current situation as it is:

26 Participants:
-------------
15 NOCs (not gymnasts) directly qualified at the 2015 World Championships All Around Final, including Europe, Americas and Asia, and with a max of 2 per NOC.

6 gymnasts qualified via the Test Event at the Individual All Around Qualification

3 gymnasts via continental wildcards: Africa and Oceania --> 2 used, 1 left/re-allocated

1 gymnast qualified via the Test Event at the Individual All Around Qualification (next best gymnast after preceding allocations / re-allocated continental wildcard)

1 gymnast host country (MUST at least have participated at the 2015 WCh AND the Test Event regardless of the result)

1 gymnast from the tripartite/invitational wildcard

15+6+3-1+1+1+1=26

I wonder if the FIG/IOC deliberately put up all around qualification instead of all around final. Hope I interpreted the rules correctly.

As for groups, the best three groups in the all around qualification phase (not all around final!) will advance to the Olympics Stupid

(like I said before, surely doesn't motivate the other, non-qualified groups/individuals to participate in the final, if you ask me, but OK...)

As for replacements (to make it even more complicated), note the following:

Best 15 from WCh: may pick any gymnast from the NOC, unless NOC decides to withdraw, then the next best NOC at the Qualification of the Test Event will be entitled to compete

Best 6 from Test Event Final: as this is nominative, in theory the next best NOC at the Qualification of the Test Event will be entitled to compete. However, this isn't stated ANYWHERE in the document.

Continental Wildcards:
Africa: should Grace Legote forfeit, then the next best African representative is entitled to compete (in this case Rostom from EGY)
Oceania: should Dani Prince forfeit, then the next best Oceanian representative is entitled to compete. However, since Dani was the sole representative from this continent, her wildcard would be re-allocated to the next best NOC at the Qualification of the Test Event.

Host Country Wildcard:
Should Brazil decline, then the wildcard would be re-allocated to the next best NOC at the Qualification of the Test Event. If continental representation is in jeopardy, then the next best NOC from the Americas at the Test Event would be awarded the re-allocated wildcard. If this condition isn't met, then the next best NOC from the Americas the 2015 World Championships will be entitled.

Tripartite Wildcard:
If the wildcard remains unused, the next best NOC at the Qualification of the Test Event will be awarded this wildcard.
Pet

PostPosted: Wed, 6-Jan-2016 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so impressed Justin! I'm inlove...

I can sooo feel the Olympic year. Keep topics like this coming, please...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Events & Results All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: