Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleonora Romanova (UKR) possible change to RUS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups
View previous topic | View next topic  
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2016 19:04    Post subject: Eleonora Romanova (UKR) possible change to RUS Reply with quote

Eleonora Romanova is about to change citizenship to Russian according to Ukrainian media, which is quite a kick in the teeth for Ukraine, I'm afraid.

http://sport.segodnya.ua/others/ukrainskaya-gimnastka-eleonora-romanova-perehodit-v-rossiyu-693507.html

She's from Luhansk, so it might be an identity thing (if the family is of Russian identity). It might be the family moving. As far as I know she's free to take up another citizenship, being from a disputed region.

And don't forget that in Stuttgart she seemed to be under "team orders" when Mazur was substituting her for the AA final, even though Romanova got the qualifying place. Officially she was injured.

It's officially NOT confirmed so far by either of the federation or the gymnast.
Hoops and Grand Fouettes

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2016 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people go to a country that has less depth in the program than the one they're in. Strange that she'd go to a country that already has almost too much depth to handle.
Gergely

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2016 22:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's why I think family could be behind the move, if it will be confirmed. I'd really like to see her in the future, so I hope it will work out for her.
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2016 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the move is something she wants. and if its indeed true I very much wish her the best and I hope she's going to get a chance to prove herself. She is a very good gymnast.
maksymehappy

PostPosted: Sun, 21-Feb-2016 23:01    Post subject: Re: Eleonora Romanova (UKR) possible change to RUS Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
And don't forget that in Stuttgart she seemed to be under "team orders" when Mazur was substituting her for the AA final, even though Romanova got the qualifying place. Officially she was injured.

I doubt any normal person would be that shallow, as substitutions of that kind are common. Gutsu won an Olympic Gold in 1992 after Russia withdrew Galiyeva in a similar way.
Nazarenkova in fact got several event final placings after changing nationality away from Russia after being hidden about 5th in the Russian team after Mamun, Svatkovskaya, Titova and Trubnikova probably too.
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutsu delivered though.

Anyways......... from UKR'S RG federation, if run though google translate you get an idea, but the last paragraph is rather upsetting, they're using legal terms. Also it says (according to google translate) that it was Romanova herself who refused to compete on Stturgart's AA beause of pain on her foot.

http://ukraine-rg.com.ua/eleonora-romanova-pozitsiya-fgu/

"Official position of Ukrainian RG Federation regarding rumous of citizenship change of Eleonora Romanova.
To sum up : Eleonora Romanova was staying with her parents in Krasnodon (region of Lugansk) and the coaches of the National team have been shocked to find out of her presence in Russia. Currently, neither the gymnast nor her parents have reached out to Ukrainian RG Federation and never informed the Federation of the wish to change citizenship. However, we are aware that she was seen in Moscow. Eleonora Romanova has been financed in full by the government of Ukraine and sponsorship during all the years of her stay in Kiev. Normally the preparation of an athlete of such a high level costs approximately 2-5 mln. USD. "

BTW, I'm pretty sure that for a gymnast to compete for another other country she/he needs to be "released" by their previous federation.........(at least thats how it is in AG)
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has the potential of getting ugly.

Summary in English: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCFshpOmDQR/?taken-by=team_ukraine_rg

I'd also like to see the gymnast's view on things. The UKR Fed press statement basically throws her under the bus. If I was working for UKR Fed I'd be pissed, too.

Do I understand well that they state that Romanova herself withdrew from the final in Stuttgart?
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what I get from google (first paragraph of the press release)

"From the press Gymnastics Federation of Ukraine learned about the desired change nationality Eleonora Romanova - member team of Ukraine. For coaches of the national team is a big surprise, even a shock, because in November Eleonora Romanova in the national team of Ukraine team has performed at international competitions in Brazil, and in September 2015 won a bronze medal in the team competition at the World Championships. Referring to the pain in the foot, the gymnast then refused to take part in the final of the all-around, which was a qualifier for the 2016 Olympic Games"

Last edited by Tchachinafan on Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:53; edited 1 time in total
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

About nationality changes:

ARTICLE 36 NATIONALITY OF GYMNASTS AND JUDGES AND MEMBERSHIP WITHIN A FEDERATION
ART. 36.1 PRINCIPLE

In principle, gymnasts and judges taking part in any international competition must have the nationality (citizenship) of the federations they represent and authority to participate, from their federation.

ART. 36.2 PERMISSION TO REPRESENT ANOTHER FEDERATION

ART. 36.2.1 GYMNASTS WHO HAVE REPRESENTED THEIR COUNTRIES INTERNATIONALLY
When a gymnast who has represented his country, moves to another country and obtains citizenship (official nationality) of the latter country, he may - with the consent of the two federations concerned and the Executive Committee -
immediately represent the new country. Where such consent is not granted, he may (with the consent of the Executive Committee) represent the new country one year after the date on which he received the new citizenship.*

ART. 36.2.2 DUAL NATIONALITY
Where a gymnast or a judge has dual nationality he may choose which country he wishes to represent but, having represented that country, he cannot also - except as provided for in paragraph 36.2.1 above - represent the other country in question.*

ART. 36.2.3 GYMNASTS WHO HAVE NOT REPRESENTED THEIR COUNTRIES INTERNATIONALLY
Where a gymnast moves to another country, and has not represented his former country, he may immediately after receiving citizenship (official nationality) represent his new country with the consent of the Executive Committee.*

In the case of a gymnast -born in a country in which his parents are "bona fide"
residents but have not received citizenship (official nationality), the federation of the country in which he was born may include him in its national team subject to the consent of the Executive Committee.*

ART. 36.2.4 POLITICAL DIVISION OF COUNTRIES

Where a country ceases to be a political entity and divides into one or more
countries a gymnast may choose to represent any one of the new countries, or to represent any other country to which he may have moved.

+++

So

If Romanova asks for Russian citizenship and she wants to have a Russian FIG licence, she can compete immediately for Russia ONLY with the consent of the Ukrainian Federation.

Hell freezing over has a better chance than this.

On the other hand, the blocking of the switch is for maximum one year only.
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the nationality change rules Gergely!

I guess we'll have to wait and see if she/her parents/RusFed make a statement about this or not.

I hope everything will turn out fine for her!!!
susana

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gergely wrote:
About nationality changes:

ARTICLE 36 NATIONALITY OF GYMNASTS AND JUDGES AND MEMBERSHIP WITHIN A FEDERATION
ART. 36.1 PRINCIPLE

In principle, gymnasts and judges taking part in any international competition must have the nationality (citizenship) of the federations they represent and authority to participate, from their federation.

ART. 36.2 PERMISSION TO REPRESENT ANOTHER FEDERATION

ART. 36.2.1 GYMNASTS WHO HAVE REPRESENTED THEIR COUNTRIES INTERNATIONALLY
When a gymnast who has represented his country, moves to another country and obtains citizenship (official nationality) of the latter country, he may - with the consent of the two federations concerned and the Executive Committee -
immediately represent the new country. Where such consent is not granted, he may (with the consent of the Executive Committee) represent the new country one year after the date on which he received the new citizenship.*

ART. 36.2.2 DUAL NATIONALITY
Where a gymnast or a judge has dual nationality he may choose which country he wishes to represent but, having represented that country, he cannot also - except as provided for in paragraph 36.2.1 above - represent the other country in question.*

ART. 36.2.3 GYMNASTS WHO HAVE NOT REPRESENTED THEIR COUNTRIES INTERNATIONALLY
Where a gymnast moves to another country, and has not represented his former country, he may immediately after receiving citizenship (official nationality) represent his new country with the consent of the Executive Committee.*

In the case of a gymnast -born in a country in which his parents are "bona fide"
residents but have not received citizenship (official nationality), the federation of the country in which he was born may include him in its national team subject to the consent of the Executive Committee.*

ART. 36.2.4 POLITICAL DIVISION OF COUNTRIES

Where a country ceases to be a political entity and divides into one or more
countries a gymnast may choose to represent any one of the new countries, or to represent any other country to which he may have moved.

+++

So

If Romanova asks for Russian citizenship and she wants to have a Russian FIG licence, she can compete immediately for Russia ONLY with the consent of the Ukrainian Federation.

Hell freezing over has a better chance than this.

On the other hand, the blocking of the switch is for maximum one year only.

Now I'm worried that Deriugina feels so resentful that doesn't give the OK to compete for Russia... Anyway, because she should try to compete for another country. Anyone would welcome her with open arms!
Tchachinafan

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now UKR's sports prime minister is calling Romanova out basically.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=906729016111967&id=100003246322240

Blaming her for sabotaging UKR and not getting UKR's spot for the Olynpics (Come on now..?!)

This is ugly.
susana

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tchachinafan wrote:
Now UKR's sports prime minister is calling Romanova out basically.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=906729016111967&id=100003246322240

Blaming her for sabotaging UKR and not getting UKR's spot for the Olynpics (Come on now..?!)

This is ugly.

This is so unfair... Betrayal? Seriously? Now they make up this stupid conspiracy towards, let's not forget it, a child. Even if she's happy with the choice, it has nothing to do with the sport, it's political. The situation between these countries is complicated enough to make things up and turn against an under-age girl.
susana

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think Ukr Fed. is so shameless accusing her of sabotage the OG spot ir order to not admiting Deriugina was who kicked her out of AA final and maybe now they regret Mazur didn't get the spot.

They are big liars.
Gergely

PostPosted: Mon, 22-Feb-2016 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor Zhdanov, Minister of Youth and Sports of Ukraine posted on his official page on the case.

He says they're obviously disappointed in the athlete and parents. He "can not exclude" that the switch was facilitated from Russia in a special operation, saying that there might have been sabotage in Stuttgart when Romanova refused to do the AA final due to her injury.

"As a result, Ukraine was [left] without Olympic quotas"

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=906729016111967&id=100003246322240&pnref=story

What can I deduct from this without hearing Romanova's version?

1. The minister has to sell this news somehow and the obvious thing is to blame the gymnast/parents AND suggest that Russia was behind the move indeed. This is I think a strictly politically motivated statement, aimed at the general public. Politically it makes sense.

2. We were offered the version in Stuttgart that Romanova was withdrawn with an injury. Now it's stated that she refused to participate. The two slightly contradict. Also, the general feeling (strictly unofficially) in Stuttgart was that Ukraine pulled the well-known substitution trick because Mazur had an outside chance for top 15.

3. What is blatantly not true in the minister's comment: even if Romanova refused to participate in the AA final, that didn't cause any loss of Olympic quotas for Ukraine.

She never really had a realistic chance for top 15. Her personal best was 68.000 in 2015 at a major competition according to FIG, which would have been good enough for place 20 in Stuttgart. She would've needed to break her personal best by almost 1.5 points to get a top 15 place. This is nigh on impossible. Romanova qualified for the AA final with a score of 50.615, so even with a 17 point possible hoop, the AA score would have been only in the mid 67s. Even if we take her best score and multiply it by four it would have not been nearly enough for top 15.

4. If it is true what the UKR federation and the sports minister state, it's a grave offense on part of the athlete. „Refusal to compete” might even be considered a breach of contract, if there is no serious injury. It certainly warrants either a disciplinary case or a drop from the national team. But if it is true, why was Romanova in Brazil with the national team as nothing happened? If such a refusal happened, it makes absolutely no sense!

This reeks of two things: politics and bullshit. And I agree with Susana, the girl is conveniently thrown under the bus.

On the other hand, I understand completely if the Ukraine Fed is hurt over such a change - they funded, trained and schooled an athlete, who will (for reasons yet unknown to us) change for a rival country, it seems. That does hurt, especially when the future did not seem that bright in the first place, and the brightest talent leaves. But that happens in sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Gymnasts & Groups All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: