Contents Information Events and Results Gymnasts Archive
Contents Archive Archive

Message board

Welcome to the new RSG.net message board! Please behave!
Please remember, that the message board is not responsible for the opinions expressed by its members.
Also don't insult, blame, accuse, discriminate, or debase other people here.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RSGVIDEOS' server problems !!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Old Photos & Videos
View previous topic | View next topic  
Guillermo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 10:56    Post subject: RSGVIDEOS' server problems !!! Reply with quote

As I'm receiving lots of mails asking for the problems at my site, I've decided to post an announcement for some days to inform everybody about this issue. I'll put also a reference at my now very slow site for everybody to know:

"OK, the news I was fearing for so long are here...

It seems my site has become too popular and it's consuming too much bandwidth, which means I'm draining bandwith to another sites hosted in the same machine by the space provider.

What am I saying in clear text? That it's most probable that the problems and slow downloads will continue for an unkown period of time, or even forever. I simply cannot afford a better hosting, so... I'll have to go on with this one to the end. If I were a rich man or had approx. 200 EUR a month to spend on a dedicated server, I'd do it, but... it's not the case.

So, no solution this time. I depend on the host server, so, if they cannot give more bandwidth to the price I pay, there's no way to recover the used speed. Simply wait and try again, I assume they have consumed the allocated bandwidth capacity for this month or simply have restricted the speed at my site.

Sorry to be so clear, but if I want to mantain my site as a free one for everybody, this is the way it must be. Otherwise, I would have to ask money to log-in, which goes against my philosophy of free sharing for everybody. If you have any other solution or anybody is willing to donate a dedicated server, then it would be terrific, but I think it won't be the case either. Miracles happen just in the movies.

Greetings and let's see how this situation evolves.

From Madrid

Guillermo"
Angel Li

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guillermo, is it okay if you delete some old videos, starting from Granada 02, and goes to 03...04...? But OF COURSE you need to tell people like, say, after this coming July I'll delete all Granada videos. Or you may try to delete videos of smaller competitions(even though they're also important) first?
Is this a possible solution?

I know you want every guest to be able to watch all your videos but...... waiting for soooooooo L O N G isn't a solution in the long run. Donation is possible but who can afford to donate money every month? I really wanna help you, but like you said, every month for 200 Euro is just too much.

Hope this problems will be solved soon.
Serpent Dream

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure...Just delete the "useless" videos...Granada was 3 years ago...If some people wanna see some exercises they just have to ask it through this forum...

Thanx again for all your great work, it's amazing seeing somebody paying a bill each month just to make other people happy...that's very generous really Very Happy so a huge thanx for all your great work again! Cool
Guillermo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 12:46    Post subject: Precisions Reply with quote

It seems I didn't explain the situation in the best way. The problem is not the amount of space I use in the server, i.e. how many videos I host there, that's not a problem at all and I can put as many as I will.

The real problem is that so many people download the videos at the same time, that it consumes huge amounts of bandwidth in a month, usually above 400 Gb. That won't change if I delete the oldest videos, because people will be crowding the server anyway looking for the newest ones.

So, it's not a question about if the slow transfer rate is acceptable or not, it's simply a fact. The transfer rate will be the one my provider can give, nothing more or less. And, if people generate so much traffic, there's not much to do. I thought about putting ads at my site (still think about it, but it wouldn't financiate a 200 EUR / month server) or asking for a log-in fee (which I discarded inmediatly because it breaks my idea of free service) so...

...better think of a slow RSGVIDEOS in the future, though it hurts.

Thank you

Guillermo
Nele Põldvere

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see! I was thinking why you didn't get to idea to delete old videos by yourself, but now the problem is much worse Shocked
Still don't lose your head, I'm sure you'll figure smth out, but unfortunately I don't have any ideas either, and it seems that there aren't any ways out, unless you are a millionaire or smth:? sad...
You have many fans Guillermo, we'll do anything to help you (well almost, cos I'm not able to help you financially)Wink
Thanks
Anna Kull

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 13:40    Post subject: Small solution maybe Reply with quote

I think in this case the best thing to improve the situation is that : 1. Every user does download the videos before watching. 2. Every user should think of the others and not downlowad verry all videos but better chose.
Maybe we can manage in this way that everyone can have a few videos in a responsible time rather then a few users all videos. Let's try to help eachother untill there could probably be another solution. I would really want to help with mony but 200 Euro a month is to much for me. However I think this mony could easely come from a little fee that everyone pays per moth or better per year. Guillermo: I suggest you figure out how match the fee would have to be and then people can give their oppinion:)
Tom D.

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guillermo I had to fight with exact same problem too in past! You could try to upload the videos as zip files or caps then its not streamable anymore I know from my page alot click and stream the clips which uses alot bandwide! Or you slow down the updates like you put insteed of 10 or more new videos at one time 1 or 2 per day. Possible maybe a download script which slows down the streamrate insteed of 100k you slow it down to 50k it should safe band resources too! Goof Luck and keep going with your Page !

Tom
Kaja =)

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it was possible to make a system so that everyone could donate a small amount of money each? Like f.ex 5 dollars?? I don't know how it would work though....
Olga2

PostPosted: Mon, 27-Jun-2005 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered today that it is slow while downloading new videos from Baku, but the speed is ok while downloading videos from Madeira 05.
Guillermo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Tue, 28-Jun-2005 7:40    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you to everybody for your help! I'll wait to see if the situation gets better in 1-2 weeks and if not, I'll try to do anything to solve it, like putting non-streamable videos, reducing download speeds and put a link to a donation system at Paypal (though I think I won't do this, it's like... begging).

Thank you anyhow to ALL of you. I'll do my best to go on providing my stuff to you.

Guillermo
True Fan

PostPosted: Wed, 29-Jun-2005 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to give a Donation, a few dollars a month would not kill me Very Happy ...your site means the world to me!!!!

TF
Khadijia

PostPosted: Wed, 29-Jun-2005 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a webmistress and I don't know much about it... so, maybe it's just a stupid suggestion, but... You could upload a few vidoes on several, different free-hosting servers... or maybe upload videos in rotation... only a few per week, then next week change and upload others and so on... Embarassed
Guillermo
RSG.net Moderator
RSG.net Moderator

PostPosted: Wed, 29-Jun-2005 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my dream was having a huge on-line video database foe everybody to download, but maybe it was too much. I'm very happy of having being able to deal with it for almost 3 years, and now let's figure out any solution.

Give me some weeks to try to solve the problem, and if I ever need help, I'll let you know.

Thank you.

Guillermo

P.S.: free hosting is no option for me, it means too much effort and constant re-uploads. No, thank you.
Haly

PostPosted: Sun, 3-Jul-2005 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such bad news !! Your site is the most interesting RG site, it's really huge... I was totally disappointed when I learned that !! I'd never imagine that you have to pay 200 euros a month to have a correct server with enough bandwidth ! It's too much !! And it was fantastic to know that we could enjoy lots of RG videos without paying, just thanks to your wonderful work ! I haven't any solution to this problem but I just wanted to say that you have lots of people (maybe fans !) behind you, who are willing to help you !
Rmac

PostPosted: Tue, 5-Jul-2005 7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guillermo, I just wanted to say that if it's easier to give a fee to a new server on paypal is an easier soultion, we would never think of it as beg for help nor assistance; as we all enjoy so much from your work and effort, considering the fact that not living in Europe means not having almost any kind of access except for traveling to RG competitions, so if it weren't for such generous people as yourself, we could pretty much would have to wait for Olympics to watch RG...

Anyway, what I mean is that don't hestitate in asking for the assistance of the forum community, because I'm sure everyone would be so eager to do so, and that's just to return the favor as little as we could do, compared to such sharing as yours Exclamation
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rhythmic Gymnastics Forum Index » Old Photos & Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: